Episode One • Last Of The Butterflies

Star Thomas nervously pulled her sweater sleeves over her hands, anxiously awaiting Jackie's arrival. It was the third time this month her sister had been called to the principal's office, and their dads were not going to be happy.

She tapped her scuffed shoe against the carpet, trying not to listen to the muffled voices inside. Their parents had been very clear that last week was going to be the last time, and Star felt sick to her stomach in the cheap plastic chair outside the door. She knew Jackie never meant to let things get out of hand, but sooner or later she would lose her temper, earning them both another trip to the office.

The scratched brass knob turned suddenly, letting her sister out. Jackie's ferocious scowl dissolved into a defeated frown when she saw Star nervously biting her fingernails. "Let's just go," she whispered.

Star silently followed Jackie through the beige-tiled halls, staying a few steps behind her. The bell rang sharply, causing Star to wince as hordes of chatty students flooded the hallway, ready to go home for the week. Jackie took Star's hand and led her through the obscenely loud crowd and out the double doors. 

The skater but on her helmet and handed Star's to her. "You want to pick up a milkshake?"

"Won't Dad and Pop be mad if we're not home on time?"

She shook her head. "They can't be more mad than they already will be."

Star reluctantly hopped on the back of the skateboard, letting Jackie propel them towards the ice cream shop. Without warning, they skidded to a stop. "Brittney Wong at twelve o'clock."

Sure enough, the Korean girl walked out of the store holding a tiny scoop of low-fat frozen yogurt, quickly followed by Alfonzo, Ferguson, and Marco. Jackie couldn't help but smile when she saw a bruise already starting to form on her left cheek. From their spot on the top of the hill, the two could easily hear their conversation.

"And then she attacked me, like some animal! I barely managed to get away with just this." She pushed away her silky hair and pouted.

Alfonso's eyes widened. "That's horrible! I don't know why Jackie would do such a thing. Who would want to hurt an angel like you?"

"I know, right! I'm pretty much the best person I know."

Marco bit his lip, conflicted. "But didn't you call her sister a freak of nature right before that?"

Brittney rolled her eyes. "It's not my fault Star's weird. I mean, it's a real shame Jackie's related to her. She could have been one of us if not for Star."

Ferguson nodded, his curly hair bouncing. "She speaks the truth."

Star's eyes clouded with tears as Jackie cracked her knuckles and got off the skateboard. "I should give her a matching bruise for having the nerve to talk like that about you behind your back."

"J-Jackie, it's only going to make this worse..."

Her short hair swayed as she sighed. "Fine. But only because you're here and I don't want you to see it."

Brittney tapped at her phone, oblivious to the pair listening. "Oh, look at this! There's a showing for Insect Man starting in fifteen minutes!"

The three boys crowded around to see her screen. "There's only three tickets left," Marco said, pointing.

Brittney put her hand to her forehead dramatically. "If we wait, we'll be spoiled for it!" She lightly poked Marco's hoodie. "I'm really, truly sorry, Marco, I honestly am. You don't mind staying behind this time, do you?"

He looked down and hesitated. "Of course not. You guys go have fun."

She squealed and gave him a hug. "Thank you so much! We really owe you one." Faster than a squirrel on a sugar high, the three walked off towards the theater, not bothering to say goodbye. 

Jackie picked up her skateboard and walked down with Star, sitting down at the table outside with Marco. "Hey."

He didn't look up. "Hey."

Jackie flicked a piece of hair out of Marco's face. "You look like you could use a milkshake."

He managed a smile. "Yeah, you could say that."

Star ordered three milkshakes for them and paid, not minding the bill. She brought them back their table, relieved to see Marco in a better mood.

Jackie lightly punched his shoulder, nearly crying from laughter at what he just said. "You're insane!"

A light pink dusted his face as he smiled. "It was totally worth it."

"A ran-over waffle?! For fifty cents?!"

"I'll have you know those fifty cents were used for ice cream from this very store."

Star smiled slightly. "How did this happen exactly?"

Marco gestured wildly with his hands as he talked. "So me and Ferguson were hanging out behind the breakfast place, waiting for them to throw out some stale donuts, when this guy in the drive-thru chucks his waffle out the window! He floors the gas and straight up runs it over. I say 'ah man that was a pretty nice waffle' and Ferguson goes 'I'll bet you it's still a good waffle' so I ate it to find out, and let me tell you, that's the best waffle I've ever had."

Star was shaking from laughter by the time he finished. She brushed away a happy tear with her sweater sleeve. "That's legendary!"

Marco gave an over exaggerated bow. "Why thank you, m'lady."

Jackie bit her lip. "Star..." She pointed at the cheek Star rubbed, revealing a bright pink birthmark under the makeup. "Your heart's showing."

Star flinched and covered it up with her hair, her face growing red. She hated those hearts, more than anything on this earth. They marked her as an outsider, an ultimate taboo.

Marco touched her sweater sleeve. "You don't have to cover it up, Star. It's just me and Jackie. Brittney isn't here, and we like you just the way you are."

Star's face softened, and she slowly tucked away the lock of hair in her face. "Thank you, Marco," she whispered, not meeting his eyes.

Jackie glanced at her watch and swore, breaking the happy moment. "We've gotta go, Star, Dads aren't gonna be pleased if we stall any longer. See you, Marco."

"Same time tomorrow?"

Jackie gave him a rare smile. "You bet."

The two got on the skateboard and started home, Jackie taking one last look behind her to wave at Marco.