LOTB Part Two

The sun was already setting as Jackie and Star arrived at home, entering as quietly as possible. Their dads were already waiting for them at the kitchen table.

Pop ran a hand through his curly red hair. "Girls, we got a call from the school today."

Jackie took off her helmet and set it on the table. "I'm not sorry."

Dad frowned, his dark eyes reflecting the light. "Mind telling us what that was about?"

Star kept her eyes on the floor. "Brittney Wong was talking bad about me again, and Jackie... Jackie punched her."

Her sister curled her hands into fists under the table.

Pop's freckled face grew concerned. "Sweetheart, we talked about this before. When, only three weeks ago?"

"It was two."

Dad sighed. "You're proving his point, Jackie. People aren't perfect, that's part of life. You can't keep attacking them when they get under skin like that. It doesn't solve anything."

"But she was talking trash about Star!"

"Brittney only does this to get a reaction out of you, and she's going to keep doing it until you show you don't care. You can't take the bait."

Jackie grit her teeth. "And do what instead, let Star get bullied by a two-faced manipulator?!"

Dad pushed his glasses up his nose. "Jackie, watch what you say!"

"I don't care, I'm telling the truth! I'm not going to take a backseat while Star gets hurt. She's already been driven to be a silent introvert, cover up her birthmarks, what next!"

Pops slammed his hand on the table. "That is enough! Jackie, go to your room."

She stalked up the stairs, stomping on each individual step as she went up. Star quietly slipped out of her seat, eager to be anywhere but here, and followed Jackie to their room.

Jackie punched a pillow, causing a few loose feathers to fly into the air. She flopped over in her bed and toyed with the teal streak in her hair. "This is all my fault, Star, I'm sorry for always dragging you into this mess."

Star kicked a patch in the carpet. "It's fine, Jackie, I know you never mean for it to happen."

"But it's not okay, that's the thing. What happens when we graduate? If I can't control my anger then, it's no cutesy calls from the school, it's being arrested. I can't get you involved in something like that." She wiped away a tear, her voice shaking. "But what else am I supposed to do? Brittney isn't going to listen to anything peaceful, and that's the only way I know how to make it stop."

Star sat next to her, letting Jackie lean on her. "Next time, we'll get through it together, alright? We don't have to deal with this alone."

Jackie smiled slightly. "I should be the one comforting you, not the other way around. The way she talks to you... I can't imagine."

Star cringed at the memory. "I'll be fine." She rubbed at the makeup on the other cheek, leaving both birthmarks visible. "I just wish I could erase these stupid hearts."

"Why would you say that about such a beautiful part of you?"

Star stood up suddenly. "You call these beautiful?!" She yelled, tears streaming down her face as she pointed to her pink marks. "These aren't pretty, they're a constant reminder that I'm not normal. Without them, maybe I could be average, but they're always there to tell me I don't fit in! I hate them!"

Jackie was shocked speechless. That had been the loudest Star had talked in years, even to her. "Star, I... I never know you felt that way about them."

Her sister stayed quiet, not responding as she curled up on the floor.

Jackie got off the bed and carefully sat down next to her. She sighed, not knowing how to start. "I get what you said about not fitting in. Just look at me. Chill to hotheaded skater girl who can't solve any problem without fighting. You heard Brittney, I would be one of the 'populars' if not for that." Jackie put an arm around Star and pulled her into a hug. "We'll be outsiders, but outsiders together. You're my sister, Star, and I love you."

Star rested her head on Jackie's shoulder, getting his wet from sobbing, her thin form shaking. Jackie squeezed her tighter as a crocodile tear slipped out of her own eye. "Don't ever forget that."

A ripping sound caught their attention, causing them both to look at the source in the middle. A pair of scissors held by a purple hand stayed suspended in the air, connected to nothing else. As they watched in horror, the hand snipped upwards, creating a bright white line in their tracks. The line expanded quickly, and soon, there was a swirling white vortex in the girl's room. One combat boot stuck out of it, then another. Before the girls could comprehend what was happening, a masculine figure stood in their bedroom, lilac-skinned and horned, but most terrifying of all, three red eyes. He adjusted his long leather jacket and stared straight at Star in a way that made her shiver, the ruby eyes looking straight into her soul. "I'm sorry for the rush, Princess, but you have to leave immediately. Earth isn't safe for you anymore."

Jackie was the first to recover, grabbing her skateboard and holding it above her head threateningly. "And what the hell is that supposed to mean?!"

He raised his gloved hands in defense. "Look, I don't know who you are, but I have to take Princess Star to where I came from right now, or there's a good chance she will be killed."

From anyone else, Star would've screamed at them to go straight back through their mystical portal and leave her alone. But maybe it was the sheer desperation in his voice, maybe it was his urgency, but something about him made her know he wasn't lying, and that chilled her down to her bones. "Jackie... he's serious, I believe him."

Jackie's mouth formed an 'o.' "You're telling me you trust this pink haired guy?!"

"Look who's talking, blue hair. I don't have time for this. Princess Butterfly, if you don't come with me, you will be murdered and the remains of your kingdom obliterated."

Star slowly extended a hand, fighting against all her common sense screaming at her to run in the other direction. "I'm ready." She turned to Jackie. "Are you coming?"

Jackie but her lip, eyes flicking back and forth, but she swallowed and stood up. "We're sisters. We'll go through this together."

The stranger nodded. "Let's go." He took her hand and led her through to the other side, forever changing the course of her destiny.