Chapter Two

Whitepaw woke to a mew from outside the mossy apprentices' den, lifting his head and groaning. He then sluggishly stood and slipped out of the den to see his mentor's dark pelt look silver in the dawn light. Sootstar looked down at the apprentice, "We're going on a dawn patrol with Flameblossom and Boulderspot. Get something to eat and we'll head out," his leader padded towards the two powerful warriors and sat with them. The white apprentice arched his back in a stretch before making his way to the fresh-kill pile, then grabbing a plump vole and settling down to eat. A small black figure slinked out of the Apprentices' den and settled down beside Whitepaw with a squirrel. "Hello, Whitepaw," Nightpaw mewed, glancing up as he bit into his prey. "Hello, how have you been doing in training?" he inquired, his eyes bright with humor, "It's going alright, I guess." he meowed, not looking up from his rabbit, "Oh, really? Just alright? Well, Strormclaw told me you were doing great," Nightpaw snorted, "Oh, really? And hedgehogs can fly!" "It's true, even I was surprised, I bet you couldn't beat me in battle." There was challenge in his voice, "But I can't do it right now, I'm going in a patrol," "Aw, okay, see you later!" Nightpaw mewed as Whitepaw scrambled to the patrol. "You took your time," Boulderspot meowed, Whitepaw was going to retort a response before Flameblossom silenced him with a warning glance and responded for him. "You're mouse-brained if you think you wouldn't take that long to eat as an apprentice, he was obviously talking to Nightpaw," Flamebossom hissed in Whitepaw's defense, "Of course a kittypet would defend a disrespectful apprentice," he muttered, glaring at her. "That is enough," growled Sootstar, "You're not kits." Boulderspot huffed angrily after a heartbeat and stalked out of the entrance, the patrol following after him. Whitepaaw stared at Flameblossom while they walked through the forest until he spoke, "Why did you stand up for me?" Flameblossom whipped around, she was only a whisker-length away from his muzzle, he could feel her hot breath as she hissed, "I wasn't standing up for you, Boulderspot is a mouse-brain and he only needed to be told that." Whitepaw recoiled under her angry glare. "Hurry up," mewed Sootstar, Flameblossom turned back around and caught up with them. Whitepaw stood up and ran to Sootstar side, Why would she take it offensively? He thought, shivering at the thought of her glare. His thoughts were interrupted by a harsh meow, "Hurry up!" Boulderspot meowed, sending Whitepaw back into reality. Surely this doesn't matter, right? Whitepaw sped up to trot beside them, Flameblossom halted, opening her jaws to take in the scents of the deep forest, "This should be a good place to start she said, looking at the leader, "Right?" Sootstar nodded and went off with Boulderspot, leaving Flameblossom and Whitepaw to hunt together, "Hey, Flameblossom?" "Yes?" The firey warrior replied, looking at Whitepaw. "Thanks for defending me," Flamebossom looked at him, "It's fine," she obviously calmed herself down, and rested her tail on Whitepaw's shoulder, "You're only an apprentice," she mewed before putting down her tail and stalked into the forest.