Chapter 12

Matt sat at his desk typing away at the myriad of computer screens. The hour was late, but his eyes were alert as they ran through the information.

"This Project Endzeit is whack. . ." he murmured as his eyes flickered from one screen to the other.

A knock on the door returned his attention to the world outside his computers. He frowned and rolled out his chair. "Always when I'm working. . ." he grumbled as he strode out of his room and to the front door.

He unlocked the deadbolt, but not the chain so he was able to open the door only a few inches. "Yeah?"

On the other side of the door stood a slim, middle-aged man with black hair and dark eyes. His face was pale and he wore a weathered brown overcoat over an old gray suit. A brown fedora with a stained band sat atop his head.

He gave Matt a weak smile. "Hi, Matt. I was in the neighborhood and thought I'd stop by."

Matt's face fell. "Hey, Mr. Tacita. Any news about Nena?"

Nena's dad shook his head. "Nothing. I've alerted the police and they're looking for her now, but-well, you know."

Matt pursed his lips. "Yeah, I know. This isn't a good place for her to go missing."

Tacita closed his eyes for a moment before he opened them and cleared his throat. "Well, I'm sure wherever she is she's fine. You know how stubborn my daughter can be. Not even death could keep her down."

Matt smiled and nodded. "Yeah."

Tacita half-turned away from him and tipped his hat to the young man. "Well, I'll be seeing you."

"Later," Matt returned.

Nena's dad turned and stuck his hands in his overcoat pockets as he shuffled away. Matt shut the door and leaned his back against the entrance as he bowed his head and sighed. "Damn it, Nena. Why didn't I just go to the stupid movie with you?"

A rap made him look up. His eyes widened as he beheld the ragged, muddy face of Nena at the window to the fire escape. She beckoned to him with both hands.

Matt rushed to the window and, after a bit of a struggle, threw it open. "Holy shit, Nena! Where the hell have you been?"

She struggled through the window and embraced him in a tight hug. "You don't know how happy I am to see you!"

Matt pulled them apart and looked her over. Her skin was pale and her clothes were stained with muddy water. "You look like you've been through hell."

Nena shook her head. "No, but I met the guy who runs that place."

He blinked at her. "Say what?"

She glanced past him at his couch. "Just let me sit down and I'll tell you everything."

Matt helped her over to the couch where she collapsed onto one of the cushions. "You want some tea? Coffee?"

She leaned her head back and shook her head. "I'm fine. I just ran here from sixty-fourth street."

His eyes widened. "Damn, Nena, that's over a dozen blocks away!"

She clutched her aching side and winced. "Yeah, I know."

"So where the hell have you been these last three days?" he asked her.

Her eyes flew open and she whipped her head to him. "How long?"

"You've been missing for three days," he told her.

She stared ahead with wide eyes. "Three days. . ." she whispered.