Chapter 23

"I read your report."

Scratch set the paper in his hand down on his desk and looked up. Jack stood before him with his ever-present cigarette in his mouth.

"And?" Jack asked him.

Scratch tapped the single page. "It's a little brusque, especially the last part. You chased the Corrupted onto the roof and destroyed it."

Jack nodded. "Yep."

He arched an eyebrow as he met Jack's unwavering and uninterested gaze. "Without any of the other residents noticing your fight?"

Jack shrugged. "I guess they're heavy sleepers."

Scratch leaned forward and set his elbow on the desk so he could lay his chin on the back of one hand. "Why did it go to the roof?"

"I guess it wanted some fresh air," Jack quipped.

Scratch frowned and a hint of burning coals flashed through his eyes. "I know your ways, O'Kent. What are you hiding from me?"

Jack grinned. "Would you believe me if I told you he was chasing his fate?"

"No."

"Then we're done here." Jack flicked his cigarette. The burning stub bounced onto the desk and stopped in inch short of sliding into Scratch's arm. He turned and waved to him over his shoulder as he left the room. "Later."

Jack shut the door behind him. Scratch narrowed his eyes and clenched his teeth. The cigarette in front of him burst into flames and burnt to dust in a matter of seconds without leaving a blemish on the surface.

Jack aimed his footsteps for Nena's white-clad room in the higher floor. He arrived at the door and knocked. "Nena?" There was no reply. He opened the door and leaned inside. "Nena?" The room was empty.

Jack frowned and pulled himself back out, shutting the door. He furrowed his brow for a moment before an idea struck him and he hurried down the hall.

Nena sat cross-legged on the hard ground. Her hands lay in her lap, and in one palm lay Matt's pin. The early morning sunlight shimmered off the metallic surface and gave it a slight warmth in her cold hand.

"Matt. . ." she whispered.

A noise caught her attention and forced her to look up. Ten feet in front of her stood the top of a metal ladder. A crop of hair appeared, followed by the curious face of Jack.

He stopped climbing and smiled at her. "Hey." She pursed her lips and turned her face away. "Mind if I come up?" Nena shrugged.

Jack climbed up and stepped onto the concrete surface. He looked around at the view garnered by the roof of the Agency. Gravel surrounded the building and cast an uncharacteristically warm glow over the roof. In the distance was the neon pepper sign, now retired for the day.

He folded his arms across his chest and swept his eyes over the roof. "I've never been up here before. How'd you find this place?"

Nena shrugged. "In all the movies factories have roof accesses, so I just looked around until I found one. Anyway-" she studied him as he walked over and sat down beside her, "-how'd you know where I was?"

Jack stretched his legs out in front of him and smiled at her. "A lucky guess, and a little help from Pete."

She furrowed her brow. "He's not asleep?"

A sly grin slipped onto Jack's lips. "Well, he was, but I woke him up." He leaned close to her and lowered his voice. "A word to the wise, don't wake up a sleeping vampire. They're really grumpy when you do that."