X

They didn't make it to the ship.

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

Annabeth cursed under her breath while Paige drew her wand with a determined look in her eye.

Piper raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

Paige couldn't deny that she agreed with Hazel, but she decided that this wasn't the best time to mention it. The ship was close, but from where Paige was standing, she couldn't see anyone on the deck. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Annabeth looking in the same direction and she expressed her annoyance through a huff. Glancing at each other, the two girls had an understanding that passed between them; there was no way to get around Octavian and his two 'body-guards'.

Paige winced as she turned her gaze to the sky. The eagles were circling overhead, crying as they did so. Sure that Octavian had signalled for backup, Paige realised that they had to think of something and fast.

"Well?" Octavian demanded. His two friends brandished their swords.

Very slowly, using only two fingers, Annabeth drew her dagger. Paige's eyes widened — provoking battle certainly wasn't wise. Instead of positioning it defensively, she tossed it as far as she could into the water. Paige felt her jaw drop as she stared at her sister.

Octavian made a squeaking sound. "What was that for? I didn't say toss it! That could've been evidence. Or spoils of war!"

Rolling her eyes at Octavian, Paige turned her attention back to Annabeth, who was giving the augur a stupid smile. Glancing back up at the blonde, Paige tried not to snort a laugh as she realised he believed that she made a mistake.

"You other two..." He pointed his blade at Hazel and Piper, completely ignoring the daughter of Minerva. "Put your weapons on the dock. No funny bus—"

Suddenly, all around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted like a Las Vegas fountain putting on a show. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor. Percy stood on the dock, holding Annabeth's dagger. Paige cracked a grin when she realised what Annabeth had been doing before.

"You dropped this," he said, totally poker-faced.

Annabeth threw her arms around him. "I love you!"

"Guys," Hazel interrupted. She had a little smile on her face. "We need to hurry."

Down in the water, Octavian yelled, "Get me out of here! I'll kill you!"

"Tempting," Percy called down.

"What?" Octavian shouted. He was holding on to one of his guards, who was having trouble keeping them both afloat.

"Nothing!" Percy shouted back. "Let's go, guys."

Hazel frowned. "We can't let them drown, can we?"