Intuition Part 3

I gave a little gasp, pulled away and stared at the wall. Three hundred twenty-seven people killed in this house? I looked up as Nancy's rant ended and she examined me, waiting for an answer. I gave an uneasy smile.

"Um, I really have to go. Homework!" Without waiting for an answer, I sprinted to the fence, clambered over it, and sped into my house.

"You're late, Tom!" my mother called from the kitchen, "What were you doing this time?"

"Can't talk yet mom!" I called back, hurrying up to my bedroom. I closed the door and stumbled to my bed, sitting down on it and gripping my head.

327 people...died in that house. The house right behind my home...oh wow. This couldn't be good. I could tell the police...-no. No, they wouldn't listen to me. They'd laugh at my power and they certainly wouldn't believe me. They'd send me to see a psychiatrist.

I'd tried to tell Elliot-my best friend-about my power once when we were seven, but he just laughed.

Lately, things had been getting worse. I'd had a few run-ins with strange things, but they were mostly just incomprehensible mumbo-jumbo. Between the kid at school who talked about something to do with clans and was a ten, and now this house...something was going on.

"Dinner time!" my mom yelled up. My brother and I thundered down the stairs, racing for first place at the table. He won, as usual, and we settled down, more than ready for food. My father talked about his day and then asked about ours. I skipped the part where I'd leaned against the wall and had the...revelation.

Since everyone in this family, except for mom, had the power of Intuition, dad would want to check my suspicion by going over to the house. My brother would tag along and it would seem very strange. I couldn't have that happen when I'd just managed to nerve up enough to talk to Nancy.

When the meal was over, I stood, and looked around for my backpack to do my homework. It wasn't in sight. I rapidly searched my room then retraced my steps to the fence.

The sun was setting and I ran my hand over the wood which had a reddish hue in the darkening light. I looked through one of the holes in the fence and saw my backpack leaning against The House. With a shiver, I slid over the fence and approached the house. A light flicked on in a window upstairs, making me jump.

I stealthily slid against the wall and then nearly had a heart attack.