References and Homages

1. In Cafe 5to2, two posters on either side of the pinball machine say "Study Dammit!" This is a reference to Stephen King. The poster was made when he was in college and was put into the college newspaper to "inspire" the students to study.

2. There is a Portishead poster in the cafe.

3. Inside the cafe is a Medieval Madness Pinball machine. This is a reference to Children of the Corn, when Malakai is playing pinball.

4. There is a convenience store that has a similar logo to 7-Eleven; however, in the game, it has an 8 instead of a 7.

5. The gas station near Balkan Church has a logo resembling the logo of the Shell Gas station stores, but the "S" is hard to read, so it appears to say "Hell".

6. Midwich Elementary School was heavily based on the school in Kindergarten Cop, featuring similar posters and architecture design.

7. After exiting K. Gordon's house, go to Bloch St. and start checking the garage doors on its north side. On a garage door, the words "Redrum" are spray painted, which is a reference to Stephen King's The Shining.

8. There are Playboy magazines on the desk in Orridge Bridge Control Room.

9. A door in Nowhere has the words "Help Me", a reference to Regan in The Exorcist.

10. Pepsi's logo appears on a park bench.

11. There is a shop called Vestal Gigastore in the Silent Hill Town Center, which references Virgin Megastores.

12. "Fedy-X" is used in place of "FedEx" on the boxes in Indian Runner.

13. There are cardboard boxes that say Psychick TV on them in the basement storeroom of Alchemilla Hospital.

14. Midwich St. and Midwich Elementary School refer to The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham.

15. Dahlia Gillespie's house is similar to the stairs where Arbogast is murdered in Psycho.

16. Alessa Gillespie's picture is similar to one of the characters in The Legend Of Hell House.

17. There is an FAA shop, similar to in the movie 12 Monkeys.

18. A poster of the Exposition Universelle 1889 can be found in the Silent Hill Police Station.

19. Harry Mason can walk by a restaurant called "Poston Market", an obvious reference to Boston Market.

20. Bachman Rd. is named after Stephen King's Pseudonym, Richard Bachman.

21. Though it does not appear in the game, there is a texture file of the poster from the subway in Jacob's Ladder about drug use.

22. When Harry comes across his first notepad, he sees a sentence similar to one written in the Stephen King story, The Mist.

23. There is a store called Mark Twain.

24. Across the street from Green Lion Antiques, the player can find "Mushnik's Florist". There is a sign in the window about their new plant, Audrey Jr. This is a reference to The Little Shop of Horrors.

25. Metropol Theater is next to the cafe, and is the same theater from Dario Argento's film Demons.

26. There is a Jim Beam sign on a building.

27. Between the Jim Beam sign and the REDRUM writing, there is also a Jack Daniel's graphic drawn on a metal garbage door, but it is hard to make out but you can still tell its there.

28. Across from the hospital, there is a Konami Burger. In the Otherworld, "Konami Burger" is changed to "Konami Berger".

29. Mec Burger, a burger joint in the Resort Area, resembles McDonald's. It has large golden arches over the building.

30. Cut Rite Chainsaws is from the movie Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2.

31. There is a restaurant called "A Moveable Feast". This is a Ernest Hemingway reference. On a related note, there is a memento if the same name in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

32. The "Bill Skins Fifth" headline on all the newspapers refers to The Silence of the Lambs.

33. The Midwich School teacher are named after members of Sonic Youth.

34. Around town, there are posters for the Stephen King movies Pet Sematary and Carrie.

35. Queen Burger, a fast food restaurant, resembles the real fast food chain Burger King.