iv: rather than admit ignorance

This chapter is edited.
WARNING:
This story deals with some heavy topics i.e. mental health, depression, mentions of suicide, physical abuse, as well as eating disorders. Please read at your own risk.

The beach was not where Dipper expected to be that afternoon. "The beach?" He was beyond shocked and disgusted. "Beach water is horrendously unsanitary. Why is this place any better than where we were before?"

Pacifica didn't seem to share his distaste as she plopped down onto the driest part of sand she could find. "Who doesn't love the beach?" Was her response. Answering a question with a question.

"Is it not obvious that the answer would be me?" Dipper snorted. "I don't enjoy the beach."

"Aw," Pacifica frowned and looked up at him, "why not? It's not that unsanitary."

"Take a look around you." Dipper shook his head, regretting his decision to follow the girl he just met to the grossest place Reverse Falls had to offer.

Pacifica only seemed to grow more amused as he raved on, the tell-tale sign of a grin splitting her face. "I find it pleasant."

Dipper surveyed the surrounding scene before him, grimacing. The sky was heavily overcast, grey clouds threatening a coming storm. The water before them wasn't anything to admire, with it's gloomy color and extraordinarily flat appearance. How anyone saw the beauty in that, Dipper had no idea.

"This place is disgusting." Dipper declared once more, looking back to the girl who had now picked up a nearby stick and was drawing a picture onto the relatively dry sand. "Yes, it truly is. So horrible, how can you smile at my distaste?"

"Because it's funny." She grinned, sparing him a glance upward from her drawing.

"And they say I'm the deranged one." Dipper retorted with a roll of his eyes. It didn't matter what kind of situation he found himself in, Dipper always craved the need for theatrics.

"Well, are you?" Her voice sounded different now, the tone completely changed. Dipper was an expert at reading vocal patterns. While her sudden change was completely out of the blue, he was still able to pick up what she was trying to conceal. Curiosity.

"Am I what?" Dipper watched as she dropped the stick and stared out into the open water. He tried to guess what she could possibly be looking at, but he came to a clueless end. Dipper was never fond of being unaware.

"Deranged."

"Depends on your perspective." Dipper shifted his weight, exhaling as he spoke. He hadn't planned on getting all 'buddy-buddy' with this girl, so he tried to keep his answers vague enough that they would still count as answers, but not make her press any further.

"And what is most people's perspectives?" She questioned, yet again, pushing a bit too far for his liking.

"Believe it or not, but most people paint me as deranged." Dipper shook his head, hoping that his answer would keep her from pestering him.

"Why is that?" She rose from her sitting position into a standing one, her hands on her hips, trying to meet him at eye-level, as if she'd be able to read him any better in that position.

It was true that most people said that the eyes are the window to the soul, but Dipper didn't share in that perspective.

Dipper just gave her a half-hearted shrug, trying to give the attitude and appearance as if he had no idea. "Couldn't tell you everyone's opinions, I'm not a mind reader, after all."

"Well, you seem smart." Pacifica replied, tilting her head to the side. "Give me your best guess."

He could've just shut the conversation down right then and there, but for whatever reason, he didn't. "Well, one could hazard a guess that they call me deranged because they don't want to admit that they don't understand me." He took in the look on her face as he ended his mini monologue. "Rather than admit ignorance, they push all the blame onto me."