Ouch

Life would be so much better if it were like the movies. If life were like the movies, Lauren would have been able to walk away from the scene like a superhero and drive off into the sunset with her girlfriend in her million dollar supercar. Instead, Lauren ended up bogged down by police paperwork and testaments and hospital procedures and more paperwork and time spent waiting around.

Camila had been whisked off to get her cut tended to and was probably going to have to get it stitched, if Lauren's judgement of the wound was accurate enough. So, it was going to be some time before Lauren could get to see Camila again.

¤¤¤

The inside of Lauren's body was protesting every move she made. Something was definitely wrong with her so she was hardly surprised when the results of her check-up revealed a fracture in her ribs. It made sense, since even the smallest breath caused her pain. And although she couldn't see it, Lauren was pretty sure there would be a hideous bruise forming on her back right now.

Thankful for the moderate extent of her injuries, Lauren thanked the doctor for her time and hobbled out to the corridor. Much to her surprise, Camila was sitting there with her father, cradling her injured arm as she waited.

"Lauren!"

Lauren stepped back, putting her hand out to stop Camila from embracing her. "Before you come any closer, I need to tell you I've got a fractured rib so hugging me is probably a bad idea."

"Oh no! Why are they letting walk about with a fractured rib!"

Lauren had the urge to laugh but she suppressed it, knowing it would hurt. "It's not a big deal, Camila. I can walk about on my own."

"It's a fractured rib. How is it not a big deal? And your cheek! What happened to it?"

Lauren smiled despite the pain that shot through her face when she moved her muscles there. "Camila, calm down. My injuries look and sound a lot worse than they really are."

"I think you're the one downplaying your injuries too much."

Lauren chuckled, wincing when pain struck.

"See? You're in pain!" Camila frowned and gripped her shoulders, moving her towards the seats at the side. "You gotta sit down. Stop playing the hero, Lauren. I'll get you a wheelchair." Just then, the doctor exited the room—an unfortunate timing for him because Camila was in his face the next moment, demanding to know why Lauren was left to fend for herself when she was so seriously injured.

Lauren simply sat where she was and left it to the unlucky doctor to explain Lauren's injuries to the excessively anxious girlfriend of hers. It had definitely been a long while since anyone fussed over her like Mother Hen Camila, and in a moment of self-indulgence, she allowed herself to sink into the warm glow that came from being loved by someone she loved.

A few minutes later, Camila's father finally managed to pry her away from the poor badgered doctor. But Camila was still unsatisfied with what she perceived as lack of care for Lauren, the patient.

"You don't get a say in this, Lauren. You're obviously not gonna take good care of yourself so you're coming home with me."

"What? No, I'm not gonna do that."

"How are you gonna take care of yourself with all your injuries? How are you gonna cook meals with a fractured rib?"

"Camila, you're injured too," said Lauren, pointing at Camila's injured arm.

Camila waved her uninjured arm, dismissing Lauren's point. "We have a cook in my house. You know that."

"Can I say no?"