Chapter 2

My sister spun around, the fringe of her beige flapper dress circling around her body.

"What do you think, Betty?"

Ruth's headpiece was daintily centered above her forehead. The light from our ceiling fan fell upon the diamonds it was bejeweled with, and the reflection scattered around the room like the stars I would map from my telescope. A large white feather touched her golden locks which were pinned up in a very feminine style. If anything, I thought Ruth looked stunning.

"You look like a rich girl whose only intention is to fill your dance card," I replied huffily, crossing my arms.

"I mean, that's what I was trying to go for," my older sister laughed. "You should come with us Betty. You need to get out more. Have some fun! All you do is sit alone at your telescope mapping stars and constellations. Aren't you tired of it?"

As she spoke, she looked me up and down. An emotion flickered upon her face for a fleeting moment. Disgust. My loose clothing and my mousy brown hair were no match for my sister's beauty. My parents knew it too. They ate up her perfection, boasting about Ruth any chance they were given. On the other hand, I was typically the forgotten one; I had no value in my parents' eyes.

Over the years, my interest in attending such laughing matters as parties dwindled. These days I took to my room where I would be greeted by my closest friends -- my books and telescope.

No one understood me. Not my parents, not my sister, and definitely not kids my age.

Ruth gently pinned in her pearl earrings, and brushed on the last of her makeup. She glanced over to the clock that sat on her vanity, and cursed under her breath.

"Betty, I lost track of time. I have to get going, or mom, dad, and I will be late. If you want, borrow something out of my closet," Ruth explained hurriedly.

She walked swiftly out of the room, her stride so fluid it may as well have been dancing. I sighed and sat under the canopy of her bed. A few minutes passed, and out of curiosity I decided I would look through her closet. I trifled through the collection of dresses, when I found one in a dark black color. It was decorated with small pearls in an intricate design.

When Ruth and I were younger, we would play dress up in my mother's old clothes. We would put the oversized dresses over our own clothes, and decorate our necks with pearls. Out of sheer nostalgia, I slipped on the black dress, shoving my body through the tight fitting fabric. I turned to the mirror in front of me, and cringed. The dress clung to my skin, unlike the shapeless dresses I was so comfortable in. I awkwardly stared in the mirror, analyzing every flaw. I had this strong urge to strip off the dress, and change back into my old clothing.

I bent down to pick up my old belongings, when a glint of light caught my attention. Was I seeing things? I shook my head and bent down once again to pick up my dark blue pajamas. All of a sudden, the glint of light was no longer just a glint. It was blinding, and coming from the back of Ruth's closet.