Chapter 41 (Piper)

Chapter 41
(Piper)
{92 hours later}
🔱Love Sucks🔱
MATURE CONTENT

     I tap my pencil frantically on my vocabulary paper as I look at my cell phone under the desk.  No texts.  No calls.

"Damnit, Annabeth, where are you?" I think frustratedly, furrowing my eyebrows. 

     Four days.  She's been gone for FOUR-DAYS!  It's already Friday and no sign of her.  That's not normal, no matter how depressed she is.  And I can't just call the police. They'll see my real records, not the fake ones I gave this school, and they'll automatically think the worst of me.  Plus, I haven't been attending the classes at that fancy boarding school my dad supposedly sent me to.  Hell, I could even go to juvie for some of the things I've done.

     The bell rings for the end of the school day and I head out into the hall from Mrs. Redstone's english class.  Everyone floods out of the classroom, trying to get where they need to go.  I scan for Annabeth, but all I see are normal faces in the crowd.  Maybe I should call Percy.  But he's in so much pain as it is and telling him that she's not only struggling, but has gone missing will turn him into that insane creature that he became back in the catacombs.  His eyes were so angry and full of bloodlust, like he would destroy anything in his way.  Just then some cheerleaders yell excitedly and do cartwheels down the hall as they wave their blue and gold pom-poms in the air. 

"GO LAWFORD HIGH!!" they yell.  I stop one of the girls by tapping her on the shoulder.

"What's going on?" I ask curiously.

"A lot of cute boys are shooting for captain for every sport under the sun at this school. The girls and I wanted to cheer them on, give them a little confidence," she says perkily.

     Maybe I'll find Annabeth sitting on the bleachers or reading against the fence.  Knowing her, she's probably at the pool.  Sometimes without even thinking about it, she's drawn to things that remind her of Percy.  But when I follow the crowd of girls out by the pool, I find no evidence of her.  I feel myself about to cry as the last straw of my cool is obliterated.  I walk over to the bleachers and sit, putting my face in my hands.  I'm so tired of everything falling apart, it's just one thing after another.  I hear the cheerleaders yell with excitement before looking up to see them do backflips and no handed cartwheels.

"GO BLUE DEVILS!!" they yell excitedly.

     I Look up from my hands and see non other than Percy swimming as fast as he always does.  It's no computation, he's going to win, but he soon slows down, letting one of the boys pass him.  I furrow my eyebrows in confusion.  Why is he slowing down?  Maybe he's pulling back cause it wouldn't be fair with his powers.  So does this mean he goes here? Does that mean Leo's here too, and Jason?  My heart flooders at the thought.

     Soon everyone gets out of the water and lines up for the couch to talk to.  Out of what I hear, Percy is going into second place as co-captain.  But something's not right.  I reach my powers over to Percy, there's something about him.  He's depressed, numb, broken, angry, scared.  I pull back and shiver, he feels like ice.  He's damaged without Annabeth, I can sense his heartbreak from a yard away.

     I think he senses me cause he looks my way.  I try to wave cheerfully, but he doesn't wave back, just looking straight forward again.  Did he not see me?  No.  He saw me.  We made eye contact.  Okay, something is seriously wrong.  We're best friends, he should feel excited that I'm here.  I see the boys head into the locker room and after a few minutes, I find myself swiftly picking up my bag and fast walking toward the locker room door.