Epilogue

Epilogue

For once, this is actually proofread :D

My hand slipped into his. His cool skin felt perfect against my warm hands. I had held his hand millions of times before, but this time it was different. Somehow it was more intimate.  The way his fingers laced through mine felt natural yet different. It was hard to explain how his simple touch could have such a big effect on me. It was weird how much I could feel so much from just holding his hand. His touch sparked fireworks though my body. I thought that wasn't possible. I thought that was the thing writers say in those cheesy romance novels. However, that was before I had met him. That was before I fell in love.

We walked hand in hand through the crowded terminal. People rushed around us in a blurred around us, but as normal the only person I could focus on was him. I smiled happily as we walked past the arrivals area.

His hand found mine as we left baggage claim and walked towards the exit. I couldn't hide the grin that spread across my lips at how easy it was with him. I never imagined how amazing being with him would actually be. It had been less than a day since Luke found out about my feelings for him but he was already the perfect boyfriend. He was sweet, caring. He was the best friend I had always known and yet somehow more. The whole time we had waited for our bags he had stood behind me. His chest pressed against my back, his arms around my waist and his chin resting on my shoulder. It was simple things like that, that made me fall in love with him that little bit more.

The door leading through to the atrium where our parents would be waiting for us swung open. Luke smiled down at me happily as we walked from the almost gloomy hallway into the brightly lit open space of the airport. I almost became lost in Luke's eyes but luckily he looked away.

We scanned the crowd of waiting parents for ours. No doubt they would be together. Since Luke and I had become best friends, so had our parents. Both our families would often have barbecues every Sunday evening during the summer.

My eyes finally landed on our mums who were chatting happily whilst waiting for us. As we start to walk towards them, once I have pointed them out to Luke, they noticed us. Both smile as the wave enthusiastically at us. As my mums eyes see our interlocked hands her grin grows impossibly bigger as she nudges Luke's mum.

As we reach them we let go of each other, for the first in what feels like forever, to hug our mums. My hand instantly feels cool and like part of it is missing without Luke's hands around it.

I pulled my mum into a tight embrace as I circled my arms around her shoulders. "I'm so happy for you," she whispered into my ear. I couldn't help the goofy grin that formed on my lips. She knew me so well. "I always knew you two were perfect for each other," she continued. I pulled back to glare teasingly at her, but she just laughed in response.

The four of us chatted happily during the car ride home. Both our mum's avoided the subject of us. It felt weird saying that. Us. I smiled as I thought about it. Luke and I were together. We were no longer best friends. We were more. After always telling everyone we were nothing more than best friends and nothing less. We finally were. We were finally more. My heart started to break out of my chest as I thought of Luke. I thought of his perfect pink lips and his sparkling blue eyes that I could get lost in for hours.

I felt Luke squeeze my hand gently, bringing me back from my thoughts. I felt my cheeks warm up, if only Luke had known what I was thinking about. I turned my head to face him. He smirked at me knowingly, almost like he did know what I was thinking about. I decided to act stupid.