Chapter 2: Part 2 - Doubtful Allegiances

"No, I am here to purchase, not rent tobacco fields, so shall we get started?" Captain Oldstone thought quizzically for a moment, "Aren't you going to bring in the Town Council or elders to join our meeting?"

Acting offended, his honor the mayor digressed, "Nonsense, over one hundred years ago my family relocated up here from Dixie and founded Mercyville. I am the one in charge, and I am going to bring progress and prosperity here. I will bring your encampment here to Mercyville. My vote overrides everyone else's vote on the council. Besides, they are always indecisive and just hold things up. I want progress for Mercyville; these are changing times, sir. I think you and I can come to a much better decision, and much quicker decision, together. I believe your time is of the utmost importance to you? Don't you agree?"

The only thing Captain Oldstone agreed on was the long-windedness of Mayor Katz. "Yes Mayor, my time is of importance to me. However, the community needs to understand why we are here and what I expect of them."

Mayor Katz sighed deeply, "Alright, that is a good point. As the head of the town council, I am the one you must negotiate with; how much land, materials, supplies, and day labor you will need to procure, rent or purchase from us?"

"To start with I brought copies of the Connecticut survey maps and state records from 1860 for Mercyville and the other locales we are continuing. I need to go over Mercyville's with you. Can we move to the conference table and I will spread the Mercyville map out for you?"

Mayor Katz replied offendedly, "I'm not aware of any 1860 survey of our land here. Let me see those so-called state maps you brought."

The captain removed the maps from his carpetbag and spread the Mercyville map out on the table, "See right here is the town boundaries of Mercyville, as you can see the rail line cuts through the northern portion of your town along here. As you can see this tobacco farm borders on the rail right of way." Oldstone paused, waiting for a reaction from Katz, but none came.

Oldstone continued talking, "To the north of the train station and rail right of way is this tobacco farm. It's 1200 acres."

Katz rudely interrupted him, "It's a tobacco plantation owned by my brother. This property has been in my family for over 100 years, ever since my ancestors first moved here from our homeland in Dixie."

The captain insisted, "Mayor, these flat fields are exactly what my engineers say we need. This tobacco plantation is the site I want to see the first thing tomorrow morning."

The mayor's jaw dropped open, "That's out of the question! We just planted those tobacco crops, and it is a sizable investment. You are asking me to give up growing our tobacco wrappers for our cigar business, for what? So, you can destroy prime tobacco land, for what your stupid parade ground to march around on?"

Katz, trying to bully this Yankee captain into submission, nastily continued, "Captain, that land will be tied up for the rest of the year. However, over here on the south side of town is the land you should be looking at for your base. It is over two thousand acres of undeveloped woodland. We can have it cleared in three or four months for the right price. The earliest your troops could move in there would be near the end of August or early September."

The captain thought for a few moments, "That's not acceptable. There is no immediate rail access to that area. We are only interested in what we can immediately obtain and occupy for our Union Army to put down this Rebellion. Your tobacco plantation on the north side of the train station and the rail right of way is perfect for our needs."

Katz replied over-confidently still pushing the wooded terrain, "Well, if you pay us enough then we will gladly build you a rail spur to the east over here between these two hills. Of course, you do realize it will all depend on how generous your labor contracts are. You should still be able to relocate your troops there by the end of September."

Oldstone anticipated this problem with Katz, "I don't think you understand Mister Katz. We need the land now. Our troops will be arriving any day and not in three to six months' time. I do have authorization from the Federal Government, and permission to proceed from your State of Connecticut's governor. I brought with me a copy of the Governor's letter. It gives me carte blanche powers in this matter. Do you want to see it?"

Indignantly, the mayor replied, "That is absurd sir! I am the local authority here, and you need my permission as well to make this work. Now take the land in the south, or take nothing at all and lead your troops elsewhere."

The captain sternly replied, "I will take what we need and provide fair compensation to the landowners."

"Oh really! And how much would that be?" The mayor demanded to know.

Oldstone reached into his carpetbag and removed a packet of bundled papers marked 'Mercyville.' Shuffling through the papers, he finally found the records he was looking for, "Unless you lied to the state's Office of the Comptroller about the value and ownership of your family land sales and transfers."

He paused as he checked the numbers on the document, "Here is a copy of the land values you registered with the state for the tobacco plantation north of town that is in question."

Captain Oldstone handed the Mercyville registered land records and pricing papers over to Mayor Katz to read and waited for the mayor's reaction.

It did not take long before Katz behaved like a spoiled two-year-old. At first, he yelled and screamed, and finally tried to bully the captain into relenting to him.

Holding firm, Oldstone looked man to man into Katz's eyes, "Here are the facts of life, Mister Katz. Not you, not a member of your family, not your organization, not a town member, not a hired gun will interfere with my military business here. If even one person acts against us, you will be held personally responsible and charged with treason. We know all about your dealings with the slave traders, that you are laundering money for the rebels, and that you own the tobacco plantation and not your brother. Do I make myself clear, Mister Katz?"

Dejectedly, Katz plopped down on the edge of his desk to think about his next move against this carpet-bagging Yankee. Infuriated, he swore under his breath to kill Oldstone or die trying.

"Mister Katz." He was unresponsive, so the captain raised his voice even more, "Mayor Katz! Do what is right for your community and cooperate with us. That way Mercyville will profit from the Union Army, instead of just you, this is not a request. It is a demand."

Captain Oldstone shuffled through the papers again and took out a form, "Here, read this quick claim and sign your tobacco plantation over to the U. S. Government and I will be on my way. Oh, one other thing, if you stay south of the rail line, you and I will never need to do business again."

Desperately, thinking quickly, Katz muttered, "I also need ...