Chapter 5

Today was Sunday so I didn't have to go to work. I had the entire day to myself. I had decided to start practicing to stop breathing. Cas and Chris were surprised to hear this.

Before they had tried to stop me from breathing. Breathing make us very vulnerable to the human scent. We usually smell the scent only when we are about to breath. When we tried, I could hold my breath only for five minutes. At last they gave up.

Now I couldn't give up. I couldn't risk that poor girl's life. I went into the forest. Today I sat by the stream. I let the water touch my hand. I felt nothing. Neither cold nor hot. Well it had to be cold especially in this weather.

We vampires did not feel the hotness of coldness of a body. However, it was different for humans. We could feel the heat in their body when we are extremely close. Same is with animals, but their body heat is comparatively less.

I sat on a rock near by and tried not to breath. At the end of the day, the time increased to ten minutes. Great improvement!

It was dark already. I decided to go hunting. We had to have blood At least once in a week.

After I was done, I sat on a tree and gazed at the stars. They were the same stars I saw hundred years ago and I'll see the same once hundred years later. Just like them, I will be the same Nicholas. The world will change. People will come and go. We won't.

I always loved stars. My mom and I used to sit on the porch of our house every night. She would show e all the constellations. I found it boring that time. But now, it was a beautiful memory. Looking at the stars reminded me of my mom.

I don't exactly remember my dad. He left my mother when I was four. My mom always smiled at me but I knew she was sad. I saw her crying once or twice. It broke my heart. I didn't know the reason behind it. I just knew she was sad.

After that, I tried to make my mom happy in the ways I could. I would make a big fuss so she would let me sleep in her room. I didn't leave her alone so that she didn't get a chance to cry. I was always a mother's boy.

I miss her a lot.

I sat back and thought how my life would be like, if I hadn't become a vampire. I would probably be dead by now. I guess that would be much better. I was tired. Tried of living. It made me envious of humans. That had something I could never have. A normal life. A loving family.

They didn't have to go around killing animals and sucking their blood. I don't like the person I am today. I'm a monster. A single minute out of control can kill several people.

Life is unfair. I don't want it yet its not ready to leave me. There are several people out there who want a longer life. Why not grant their wish?

I got up and decided to leave. I walked through the forest thus time. It was blissful. I reached home. I decided to go take a shower. If you haven't noticed, we don't sleep.

After taking a shower, I sat by the piano. There was this new melody I wanted to play. I started playing it. It sounded better than I had expected it to. I sometimes composed songs. That's how I used to earn a living. All songs used to be hit.

After I was done, I heard someone clapping behind me. I turned around and saw Casey standing.

"It was great Nick."

"Thanks."

"Well, I got a new job."

"Job?"

"Yeah, you see I was bored sitting in the house and I decided to work like you do."

"So, where are you going to work?"

"At the cafe." I knew which cafe she was talking about. When Cas was a human, she was a great cook. Now there was no need to cook as we couldn't eat it.

"You'll enjoy it," I say.

"Yeah. I'm so excited. I'm joining today."

"Well best of luck then."

"Thanks," she said with a big smile and went to her room. I was happy for her.

I had to get ready as well. It was already nine. I had another hour. I got ready and decided to explore the town for some time. I never really saw all the places.

The town was small. I walked past several stores. The handicraft articles of this place were very beautiful. I saw a band displayed in a shop. It was beautiful. If I had a girlfriend, I would definitely give it to her. I decided to buy it as a memory if this place. Memories were all I had.

I was walking past the high school, when I heard some girls giggling. I saw some three to four girls jumping down the high school wall. Guess they were bunking classes. I took a breath and froze.

She was there. That's when I spotted her brown head. She was definitely not the girl I thought she was. She never failed to amaze me, did she?