Daily Hustle

24. Brunette. Beautiful.

That is Blake Oxnard. A secretary working for a private law firm in downtown Toronto.

Always running late, this particular day is not an exception. She goes through her daily routine of putting on her makeup, curling her hair and checking and re-checking her overall appearance before she leaves out of her pad. It has become a cycle....a lifestyle.

Blake blended in as people clutching clipboards bustled about. They were all hurrying towards the elevator. She was trailing behind, reason why she wasn't able to get on the lift. The door closed and as it did, she saw on its reflection that she wasn't alone. She was standing beside his boss who was looking dapper in his coat and tie. She slowly turned to his direction and greeted him with full hesitation.

"G-Good morning Mr. Armstrong."

"Good Morning!" He greeted back unmoved. "What time is it?!" he asked under his breath but with a hint of emphasis.

Before Blake could even answer, the elevator opened and Chrysler Armstrong got on without looking back. Blake hesitated to get in and be in an awkward situation with her boss but the blank stare he was sending her as soon as he turned around was enough to send shivers to her spine.

She walked towards the lift and just right before she was able to get in, the door started to close. Mr. Armstrong was quick enough to prevent it from completely closing, thus allowing her to finally get inside...but with a broken stiletto!

At the back of her mind: Gosh! This is soooo awkward! I hope he just went ahead and left me for the next trip!

"What time is it Miss Oxnard?" he asked again, still stiff and bossy-sounding.

"I-It's half past seven, sir..." she was looking down while occasionally stealing glances on their reflection in the mirror-like door of the elevator.

"An what time does your shift start?"

"S-Seven a.m. sir." she mindlessly fixed her already neat bun. She actually looked sophisticated and she was certain that had they been in another circumstance, he could have grabbed her close and planted a torrid kiss on her lips.

"And?" he went on with the interrogation. 

"T-Traffic my apolo--" she was cut midway when the power went out.

"Blackout!! Oh my gosh...how are we going to get out of here...Mr. Armstrong. Sir!" Blake was panicking as she was claustrophobic.

"Calm down...Calm down...Blake!"

More than the shock she was having for being trapped inside the elevator, she was more appalled that he knew her by her first name!