Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I stood as still as a mannequin as I listened to the very personal conversation between my parents. I couldn't believe what I was hearing and quite frankly I didn't want to hear it either. My heart sank as I listened to the pain in my mother's voice as she sobbed to my father about the mistakes he had made.

"I never said it was your fault Catherine! But what I am saying is we should try and do something to fix this for the sake of the kids!" dad snapped following her into the large, modernised sitting room.

"You want me to give you a chance to cheat on me again for the sake of my children? If they knew what you've done they would never look at you again. You'd disgust them just as much as you've disgusted me".

"They're my kids too lets not forget. It was a mistake sweetheart, I've told you this so many times before. She was a silly mistake, you know I love you".

"Do not sweetheart me Jason! A mistake! You're telling me that it was a yearlong mistake. You have spent all of our savings sneaking around with her and now you want me to forgive you?".

I could hear footsteps coming towards the kitchen but I couldn't move. My feet were stuck to the ground and my body was numb from shock. A lump built up in my throat as I stood holding my glass of water between my petite fingers. Dad had been cheating on mam, our savings were gone; it was as if my worst nightmare had come to life and was about to swallow me up into a pit of hurt and despair.

"Nellie!" mam gasped, shocked to see me standing in the kitchen.

Her kind green eyes locked with mine and I could see the hurt, pain and hatred that had consumed her. Her hair was unbrushed and she was still in her pyjamas; it wasn't like mam to come downstairs looking so hysterical, she always made sure to look her best. I felt my heart shatter into a million pieces but there was nothing I could do to fix what had already been broken.

"What are you doing listening in on conversations that have absolutely nothing got to do with you!" dad snapped storming into the kitchen behind my mother.

He looked like he hadn't slept in days, his face was unshaved and rough, the bags under his eyes hung low and his voice was rugged and hoarse. His dark blue eyes were cloudy and unreadable, he looked just as bad as mam. My eyes fell to his hands, his nails were bitten down and he had two duffle bags in each hand.

"Do not shout at my little girl as if this is her fault! They have a right to know what is going on!" mam defended me standing in between the gaze of my father and I.

"You're leaving? Why? After everything we've been through you're just gonna get up and leave?", I cried looking up into my fathers eyes helplessly.

"It isn't like that darling", dads voice softened as he began to explain, he sounded as if he were about to cry as the words escaped his dry, cracked lips.

"You should go", mam cut him off, looking up at him daringly. "I will not stand and watch you hurt my children just as much as you've hurt me".

Without hesitation I placed my glass of water onto the counter and ran back outside, I couldn't cope standing there watching my father leave us.

"Nellie what's wrong?" Oísin asked staring at me concerned, he stopped in his tracks hurl in hand and walked toward me quickly wrapping his strong arms around my petite figure. My brothers knew me better than my own parents ever would, all it took was one glance across our garden and they all knew something wasn't right.

"Nothing, I'm fine", I lied picking my hurl up off the patio and gazing in the window to look at my mother. There she stood, her heart shattering into a million pieces as she watched her whole world collapse around her.

"What's happened?" James asked running across the garden followed by Chris and Conor.

"Nellie is everything okay?" Chris asked staring at me his dark bushy eye brows furrowed together, his bright blue eyes looking up to meet my mother's gaze in the kitchen.

Chris gave me a supportive hug before running inside to my mother, as the oldest brother he already knew what had happened. I followed him inside without a word and prepared myself to watch my whole world turn up side down.

"Nellie what has happened?", Oisin snapped grabbing me by the wrist and pulling me off to the side.

"Dad cheated on mam" I whispered, my eyes filling with tears as I spoke.