Chapter Two

Odd as it seems, my first few weeks at Steamboat Springs High School passed rather quickly. Milo and I became good friends over the course of just five weeks. Basically, he's now my only friend.

"So, Homecoming is coming up." Milo tells me as I pop a fry in my mouth.

I nod and then take a sip of my soda, watching as he picks a tomato off of his burger. Even as my closest (and only) friend, I never say much around Milo. And that's basically our friendship.

"Has anybody asked you, yet?" He asks, taking a large bite out of his burger.

"Uh, no..." I chuckle quietly, "No. Nobody has asked me. You're like, the only person who knows I exist, Milo."

"That's not what the hockey team says. Everybody on the team talks about you. They wonder why you're so shy. Practically all of them want to take you out." Milo says in a matter-of-factly tone.

I practically choke on my soda as I begin to laugh.

"What? Why?" I ask, gasping for air.

"Because you're beautiful." He shrugs.

I start choking once again, bringing the straw of my drink to my lips and swallowing hard. I set down my drink and take in a huge breath, wiping at my eyes.

"What?" He asks, his eyes wide.

"You're hilarious, Milo. Just as funny as when I first met you." I respond with a sarcastic tone.

"You seem so nice but you speak so sarcastic." Milo flashes a winning smile as he takes a sip of his drink.

"I had my heart cut away when I was 10." I mutter.

"What?" Milo laughs.

"It's a joke. You know I had open heart surgery when I was 10." I tell him, raising my eyebrows.

"Really?" He asks, his mouth hanging slightly open.

"Yeah." I nod my head and reach my fingers up to toy with the two studs in my right eyebrow.

"Why?"

"I had some issues when I was younger. That's why I became such a fitness freak. I never want to feel unhealthy ever again. So, I constantly work out." I explain with a grin.

"You are so weird." He teases, "And speaking of weird. I have a weird question."

"Yeah?" I ask, dipping another fry in my ketchup puddle.

"Do you wanna... I don't know, maybe go to Homecoming with me?" He asks.

"Aw, Milo." I blush slightly, feeling nervous and awkward. "Sure."

"Awesome!" He pumps his fist and smiles wildly.

"Easy, Carstairs." I mumble, standing up and grabbing my phone off the table. "I have to go. Text me or something."

"Bye, Payton. See you tomorrow." He winks.

I hurry out of the little restaurant and get in my car, looking at myself in the rear-view mirror. I don't like Milo the way he likes me...

He's a great guy. I just don't have feelings for him. But why not? He's handsome and nice and funny and genuine... So what's wrong with me? Maybe I just need to go on a real date with him or something... I hope Homecoming is enough to figure it out.