Discovering Death

"Unbelievable," you cursed under your breath, walking into the Oscorp building. Harry Osborn had abandoned you. You woke up without arms around you, face down in a throw pillow. You were infuriated that he'd left without warning, but maybe you should have given him a bit more thought before barging into his office first thing in the morning, "Harry," you said, voice stern, "Where did you go last night? Why did you leave?" You pressed, approaching his desk.

He looked absolutely stressed, pacing back and forth, hand against his neck as you waltzed in. His eyes werent soft and sparkling as you remembered. They were terrified and upset, maybe even icy. He narrowed his eyes, "I came here, because I had some work to do. Where the hell did you think I went? Slept with some other girl? We arent even in a relationship, why do you care? And do not call me Harry, its Mr.Osborn, I am your boss," he didnt even sound right, voice husky, low and even strained. It took a second to catch yourself, breath trapped in your throat, "I-... I'm sorry Mr.Osborn, I'll leave you to your work," with a click of your heels, you had turned to leave the office. There was a sigh, maybe even a whine as you shut the door and it wasnt from you.

You moved across the floor, sitting yourself down at your desk. Things just kept getting worse. Max's death, the episode last night, and now this. One hell of a week, huh? You logged into a computer, watching a particular brunette walk across the floor and into Harry's office. You just shook your head, watching as the windows tilted. Harry was hiding something and it was bad. Of course... You shouldnt have cared anymore. He didnt seem interested. You just sighed, rubbing your temples. It was impossible to just NOT care after such an eventful night.

It didnt take long for a stressed brunette to leave the office, hands shoved in his pockets as he rushed to the elevator. Harry stood in the doorway, looking just as distressed as his friend. That kid must have been Peter, the one who Harry had spoken so fondly of. The blonde had even looked your way for a brief moment before looking away and shutting the door. You shook your head, returning to answering your emails. Hours of work went by, approving things, disapproving things, stamping Harry's name on it and moving on. That was the assistants job. Pretend to be the Osborn brat who was too lazy to do his own job. He just wanted to sit in there with his money on the floor, counting the cash as it kept pouring down. If you werent getting paid so well, you would have quit after a week.

Your eyes drifted as a certain blonde opened the door to your office, "(Y/N)," he said quietly, shutting the door before moving to your desk. You gave him a cold look before looking back to your work, "Yes, Mr.Osborn?" You asked. He sighed, almost silently, "I'm sorry. I'm just stressing out," he said, placing his hands on the front of the desk. He shut down all of your work, forcing you to look up at him. It almost looked like he'd been crying, "I'm dying," he said flatly. You had to double take, looking at him with wide eyes, "Y-You're what? I'm sorry, I dont think I heard you correctly."

"I'm dying," he stated once again like he'd rehearsed the line over and over again, only knowing how to say it in a certain way. It came a shock, your eyes wide as you leaned back in the chair, using it as a tool to keep yourself somewhat relaxed, "My Dad had this... disease, and its what killed him," he started again.

"I know, I know. Retroviral Hyperplasia. How did you get it?"

"Genetics. I have to do something, I dont want to die."

"Of course... Harry, we tried so many things to find a cure and we couldnt do it," he cut you off, marching over to slam his hands on the table. You jumped, looking between him and his hands with the same wide-eyed expression. He looked down at you with his icy eyes, "Spiderman."

"Wh-"

"He was bitten by one of those things, and it worked! I dont understand it, but he has the abilities of a spider, including the ability to self-heal. If I get his blood, I'll be able to do the same," he'd done his research alright. He knew everything and he had a plan. You shook your head, "I dont know if its that easy, we'll have to run tests and that'll take time-"

"I dont have time!" He shouted, echoing through the office. You stood, hands on the desk as well, "You're going to have to wait, Osborn! You could die!"

"You cant make me die more than I am, so just do your damn job!" His hand slammed onto the desk again, cracking the glass. You gasped, having to steady yourself on the chair. There was a long pause before you spoke again, almost in a whisper, "Get out," you said sharply.

"(Y/N), pl-"

"Get out!" You finally shouted. He backed away, shaking his head before he was out the door. He slammed it, causing the glass there to crack as well. You sat down, rubbing your temples and shaking your own head. It didnt take long before you were packing up, stuffing a cardboard box full of whatever you could grab. You walked out of the office, downstairs, and to the front desk. You handed over your badge, "I'm sorry, this is just really stressful. I dont think I can handle it anymore."

"It's sad to see you go, (Y/N). Is Mr.Osborn, huh?" The woman asked, clicking a few keys on her computer. You nodded, shifting the box to balance between your arm and hip, "He just... makes everything hard. Complicated, terrifying. He broke my desk, and cracked the door."

"Everyone's been dropping like flies since he got here. He's terrible at his job."

"Dont say that, there are cameras. I'll see you around," you sighed, rushing out the front door. That was it, you'd quit your job. You'd have to find a new one to pay the bills. Maybe work at a bank or office building. Maybe go back to school and get a different diploma, get a different type of job.

You took a taxi home, marching up to the front door and opening it up. You left the lights off, thank God for daylight, and dropped your box next to the door. You had quit working for Oscorp, and you'd quit being around Harry Osborn.