eighteen

Harry rolled out of bed, frowning at the fact that he was alone. He grabbed for his phone on the nightstand and frowned again when there was nothing from Louis. He tried to remember if he said anything last night, but he was tired and his mind was fuzzy. He shook his head, guiding the curls away frown his face. 

Honestly, he probably should have been upset that Louis left him, but he wasn't all that surprised. The two of them probably had the worst communications skills. Actually, when Harry thought about it, he didn't think he knew one thing about Louis that wasn't blatantly obvious. He thought he was really getting close to the boy, but Louis hasn't revealed anything to Harry. Of course, there was the occasional conversation about the future or whatever, but Harry didn't even know about Louis' family.

He sighed softly and left his room, still in his pyjamas. There was no need to change his clothes as it was a Saturday morning. Since Harry woke up later in the morning, the main floor of his house was buzzing with energy. He heard the faint voices coming from the television and something sizzling on a pan. 

He made a thud as he jumped over the last step of the staircase. Harry knew he would probably fall on his face is he even tried putting his foot on it. It was like the step had magical powers or something.

"Where's Louis?" was the first thing that came out of the mouth of Harry's father once he was his son. Harry narrowed his eyes at the question.

"He had to leave... earlier," Harry mumbled hesitantly. He wanted to make it sound like Louis did indeed sleep over, but he also didn't want to blatantly lie.

"Oh, that's a shame," His father hummed and continued to pour his coffee. Harry sighed and walked over to the sound of the t.v. His father probably wouldn't have cared no matter what he said.

His mother would probably be sitting on the couch in front of the t.v. She always liked to watch Saturday morning television. Harry never understood why. It was all just weather and local business news, things that were pretty boring in his opinion.

"...arrived at the intersection. They have concluded that the crash occurred shortly before midnight last night." The t.v. announced the news.

"What intersection is that?" Harry asked his mother who was indeed sitting on the couch. The road signs looked familiar, but he couldn't quite make them out.

"Uh." His mom looked at her son, just noticing him for the first time. "I believe it's the one just down the street."

Harry froze, remembering that Louis ran down the street that way. What if... No, Harry let out a sigh of relief. He clearly remembered that Louis left after midnight. Harry decided to try to make a conversation with his mom. Maybe she'd actually be a decent human being when his father wasn't around.

"That's pretty crazy," Harry spoke. "Just down the street from us and we didn't even know."

"Huh? Yea, sure son," and that was all she said. Harry bit his lip softly, trying not to get mad. It's like she didn't even care about him anymore. 

"Harry!" He turned his head towards the couch. Was she actually responding? "Can you move? I can't see the tele."

"What the heck mom! I just want to talk to you!" Harry blurted out the words before he could stop them. He pressed his lips together tightly as his mother turned to look at him, an unimpressed look on her face. Harry didn't know if it was because of his words, or if it was because he still hadn't moved from in front of the t.v.

The more Harry thought about his words, the more he realized that they were true. He had always been too afraid to talk to his mom just in case his words weren't perfect enough. When he was little, he thought a mother was someone you could talk to and be yourself. He though a mother was someone who would accept you when no one else did. In his case, he was horribly wrong.