Chapter 9: Living With Him

Hiroka sighed as she sat at the kitchen table. Ryota was currently eating food that she just cooked up. Hiroka didn't want to stay with him. He left her parents to die.

"You're thinking about leaving aren't you?" Ryota asked her.
"Obviously, but you made that hard to do," Hiroka muttered. Ryota had these windows that were hard to break. His door was also triggered with an alarm if she ever tried to escape.
"Why do you obsess over me anyway? There're better girls in the world," Hiroka told him.
"It's because of that promise, but you broke it yesterday," he informed her.
"What promise?"

Flashback

It was around a couple months before the survival game. Ryota and Hiroka were in their gym class. They were playing soccer.

Hiroka kicked the ball. Ryota wasn't paying attention and it hit him on the face. Everyone was worried and gathered around. Ryota opened his eyes to see Hiroka standing over him.

"I'm sorry! I promise I won't hurt you again!" She quickly said. Ryota's heart started to beat really fast. He could feel his face heat up. Hiroka then walked away and his friends helped him up. From then on, Ryota knew that he loved her. From that promise and how she was always worried about others.

Flashback End

"I'm sorry if I didn't keep that promise," Hiroka replied.
"See, Hiroka always worries about others, it's so cute," Ryota said while looking up dreamily.
"That's weird, but okay," Hiroka stood up and walked out of the kitchen.

She walked throughout the halls and saw no pictures. There weren't any family photos either. Shouldn't all families have some photos up?

Ryota walked out of the kitchen and found her. "What are you doing?" He asked her.
"Oh! I... you don't have any family photos up," Hiroka commented.
"I guess I don't," Ryota said. As if her saying that made him realize that he didn't have any family photos.
"Do you have any photos?" Hiroka asked him.
"Yeah, come with me," Ryota led her to a room.

They made it to an old run down door. Ryota opened the door. He turned on the lights and walked to a chest at the end of the room. Hiroka walked inside. That chest was the only thing in there. Ryota put a combination into the chest. It made a clicking sound, signaling that it opened. He lifted up the lid. He grabbed what was inside and laid them out on the floor. There were photos of Hiroka!

"How did you get all these photos of me!?" Hiroka asked, shocked.
"Well, some of them were from your parents," Ryota answered while looking through them.
"What about these? They're from school!" She told him.
"Well, remember when I was in the yearbook club?" Ryota asked.
"No."
"Okay, well, I was. I decided to be the photographer and took a chance to snap a bunch of photos of you," he smiled.
"You know what? It's late, I'm heading to bed," Hiroka got up and quickly walked out of the room.

Nighttime

Hiroka was pretending to be asleep. She knew every night around twelve or so, Ryota would check on her. Maybe just to see if she was still actually in the house. She heard the door open, before shutting a few seconds later. Quickly getting up, Hiroka quietly opened the door. It would be a lot easier if she had her diary, but Ryota still had it in his possession.

Hiroka was hoping that Ryota was super tired so he went to sleep immediately. She crept to the kitchen and opened up a few drawers. She eventually found what she was looking for.

A flashlight.

Hiroka walked to Ryota's room and opened the door. Inside his room was kind of messy. There were a couple of clothes on the ground. She closed the door behind her and looked around his room. She went into his closet and found a family album. Hiroka opened it up. All the pictures were ripped though. Ryota was the only one that was in them. Ryota soon snored and turned over in his sleep.

"What is up with him, he's so mysterious." Hiroka thought while putting everything back. She soon walked out the door and back to her room.

October

It's been about two weeks since Hiroka has been living with Ryota. She hasn't gone outside once. Ryota was just that type of guy. They were getting ready to go outside though.

"Here," Ryota handed her some clothes.

Hiroka groaned before changing into them. Ryota then put a blonde wig on her. He had a brown wig on himself. "Why are we in disguises?" She asked him.
"The cops are trying to get us, you saw the news," Ryota told her.

Ryota opened the door and walked out with Hiroka. They were immediately met by the cold air. Halloween was coming up and so were decorations. Ryota grabbed onto Hiroka's hand with a blush on his face. "Would you let go of my hand?" She asked him.
"Come on, I at least want to pretend to be Hiroka's boyfriend," Ryota whined.

Suddenly, a hand reached out and dragged them into the alley. "You two look ridiculous."

Azumi stood there with an exhausted look on her face. "Azumi!" Hiroka exclaimed with relief.
"Thanks a lot..." Ryota mumbled.
"Where have you been?" Azumi asked her. "And take those off," Azumi grabbed their wigs and threw them behind her.
"We're getting candy," Ryota answered. He grabbed onto Hiroka's hand and dragged her away.

Inside a Candy Store

Ryota brought Hiroka to the nearest candy store. They went up to the counter and were greeted by a young girl with pink hair. "Hello! Would you like to try our new candy samples?" She asked with a smile.
"Oh, umm, sure," Hiroka answered. The lady went behind her and grabbed two taffy candies.
"Don't worry, they're free." She told them. Hiroka unwrapped it. Ryota took his then looked at the lady. She had a menacing smile on her face. Ryota then saw a pink notebook on the table. Just then his phone buzzed. Ryota looked at it then wrapped his arms around Hiroka as she popped the candy into her mouth.

"Ryota?" She asked with a bright blush on her cheeks.
"Sorry," Ryota leaned down and quickly kissed her. The lady watched with this confused look. After a few seconds, Ryota pulled away.
"He just took the candy from my mouth!" Hiroka exclaimed. Ryota spit the candy onto the ground.
"Ryota, that's not very nice," Hiroka told him.
"Oh sweetie, I thought you'd catch on," Ryota started then looked at the lady with a glare. "She's a diary user."