~Chapter 19~ (Keri)

"Are you ready for the big reveal?" Sandra grinned, proud of what she had done to my hair.

"More ready than I've ever been!" I smiled nervously.

She handed me a mirror and I gazed at my hair with a puzzled look on my face.

"Sandra... It's still pink..."

"Pink is your color, Keri! There's no need to change it!" She exclaimed as she fanned out my hair to frame my face.

"But..." I whimpered.

"You wanted to change your hair color to try and change the fact that your man dumped you. Nope! That is not gonna change a thing! You look beautiful, Pinky! You are a catch and I'm sure he knows it."

"Obviously I'm not that great of a catch or else he wouldn't have broke up with me. I don't know what is going through his head right now. Part of me wonders how he is handling all of this..."

She rolled her eyes at me.

"He broke up with you and you are concerned about how he's handling it? Girl, he must have had you spellbound or something!"

"Well, yeah, Sandra. I was falling in love with him," I sighed, "I need a night out."

"Maybe you should take your fresh look to the club down the street tonight. Guys will be attracted to you like a white on rice!"

Oh hell no!

"Absolutely not. I don't do nightclubs. Its not my type of scene. I suck at mingling, I don't dance, and I am a lightweight. Sorry, Chick, but there is no way that you can make me go. I'm not even ready to meet another guy right now."

"What if I went with you?" She begged me, "C'mon, Chicky! Let's go have a good time tonight. And who knows? You could meet somebody who really loves you."

That fantasy sounded lovely, but her words sounded more like "How Soon Is Now?" by The Smiths. What if the night went terribly wrong and I wanted to go home, cry, and die just like in the song? It would be just my luck that a scenario like that would happen to me. But I gave it some thought and I thought that maybe it would help me cope and feel a little better.

"I suppose it's a better plan than wallowing in misery with cheap wine and a box of Kleenex," I caved in.

"Yay!!" She clapped her hands, "I'll pick you up at eleven... oh, and the new 'do is on me! Just buy me a martini later!"

"Thanks, Sandra! I'll be sure to get you a drink."

After the salon, I went straight back to my apartment to try and find something to wear. I didn't own that many outfits, let alone anything that was appropriate for a nightclub. So I decided to go to my parents' house and raid my sister's closet, hoping that she didn't pack away all of her clothes when she went away to college.

I opened up her closet and I was in luck! There were several cute dresses that I could wear. I took a handful of them to try on and I decided on a short velvet spaghetti-strap black dress that revealed my back. Definitely the opposite of my "hipster" fashion.

I went into my sister's bathroom and curled my newly-colored pink hair and plastered it with hairspray. I threw on some of Molly's mascara and some rose-colored lipstick and then I waited for Sandra to pick me up.

As Sandra pulled up to my parents' house, she whistled at me.

"Look at you, Hot Mama!" She exclaimed.

"I'm not wearing this. I think that it's too revealing... This just isn't me!" I was so embarrassed of the way that I looked.

"You look fantastic. Now get in the car!" She stepped out of her car, dragged me into her beat-up Pontiac, and we drove off to the club into the heart of the city.

~*~

When I stepped into the club, we went straight to the bar, where I got Sandra and I a couple of strawberry martinis. Strobe lights beamed across the dance floor, revealing a massive crowd of people.

"This place is pretty cool!" I smiled glancing over the crowd.

It wasn't as bad as I thought that it would be. Everybody was drunk, but still having a great time.

"C'mon, Ker! Let's go dance!" Sandra said, as I quickly finished up my drink. She took my hand and dragged me to the dance floor.

As the music picked up speed, my heart kept beating faster and faster. It felt good to dance and let loose. It was the most freeing thing that I had done since our breakup.

I glanced around at the people around me. There were several cute guys, but then my eyes narrowed on one specific guy in the room. My body froze. I couldn't believe what my eyes were seeing. Unbelievable.

There he was- in the middle of the dancefloor- with a dark-skinned woman in a short sequin dress and thigh-high boots grinding up against him.

This was my worst fear come to life.

"Keri, What's the matter?" Sandra asked me as angry tears welled up in my eyes.

I couldn't speak. All at could do was stare. She turned around to face him and moved her body slowly on him as he ran his fingers down her hips. When she began kissing on his neck, I winced away with tears flowing down my cheek.

"Is that him?" She asked me.

I nodded and wiped away the tears from my cheek.

"Oh crap...OH CRAP!"

She quickly put her arm around me and turned me away from the dance floor.

"You don't need to be seeing this. Sorry, Ker, I had no idea this would happen," she comforted me.

"Of course this would happen... I just wasn't prepared for this. I didn't ever think that I would see him here. Not in a million years. And I especially didn't expect to see him rubbing up against some bar fly," I sniffled, "God, I need a drink!"

"Here. Have my martini," She said as I quickly chugged it.

This was not going to be a fun night.