Chapter 1

"Look at your hair!", Mrs. Maleficent practically growled at the little girl who was standing in front of her, looking down at her feet, not daring to meet the old woman's eyes.
"There are already knots in it again. If you can't keep it neat then I have to cut it short, I told you this already a hundred times."
The five-year-old clenched her eyes shut tight and nodded her head lightly.
"What was that?", the woman mumbled and pulled at her hair lightly, which was falling down to the middle of the girl's back.
"Yes, Mrs. Maleficent. Please, don't cut it. I will make sure it stays tidy."
You could hear from her voice that she was nervous. She was very nervous and there was nobody to calm her down. Just Mrs. Maleficent who found fault in everything the girl was.
Her name was Megan and when she sang for herself she had quite a pretty voice. That's why they were here. At a show called 'The Voice Kids'. The child who could win this contest would earn a lot of money, so Mrs. Maleficent had heard. And it was Megan's job to do so. The little girl liked to sing, but only, as it was already mentioned, for herself. Now she had to go on this stage and sing in front of some hundred people, while four so called coaches were judging over her voice. Her knees shuddered and she pushed them together.
"Do you need to tinkle again? It's almost your turn.", the old woman said bluntly. The girl hastily shook her head no.
"Then stand properly", was the only reply and Megan begged her legs to stop moving. They luckily obeyed and she sighed quietly.
She really didn't want to do this. But Mrs. Maleficent had made it clear already that she had to, otherwise there would be consequences. Painful consequences.
Over on the wall was a small TV so they could see what happened in the big room and on the stage. Right now another girl was singing. Her hair was short and she wore glasses. Her voice was a bit too high, Megan thought, and it didn't really fit the rocking song she was singing. Nobody of the four coaches turned. Actually there were only three to turn. Two men worked together on one button. Team Madden. That was their name, but the girl didn't know this. As much as Megan had seen of the two of them, they were dressed in all black and had weird things on their arms. And one even had some color on his throat and neck. They just showed up on the screen and the left one of the two men thanked the girl for having the courage to come on this stage and sing in front of so many people. His voice sounded nice, almost comforting and she liked that.
"Don't you dare and make nobody turn around!" Mrs. Maleficent's voice sent a shiver running down her spine. "And don't choose those tattooed clowns.", she added and almost spit at the small TV. Tattoos. Of course, that's what those lines and symbols and colors were about. Megan had seen tattoos before, just not so many on one person. Or two, as it was.
A blonde and beautiful woman was shown now and Mrs. Maleficent nodded her head. "Go for Delta. She knows her business."
Megan bit her lip and nodded subordinately.
"If you must, you can also go for Mel B.", Mrs. Maleficent added as another beautiful woman with darker hair and skin showed up on the monitor.
Megan nodded again. She didn't really care who would turn for her. She just hoped someone would turn. Because if not, she wouldn't get any dinner and she knew that already. As the girl on the screen left the stage, a man came up to Megan and Mrs. Maleficent.
"It's your turn now, little Megan.", he said and motioned for Megan to follow him.
"Now go and do it well.", the old woman said in a strict voice and almost shoved Megan away from her spot. She stumbled a little, but could catch herself before she hit the ground. The man didn't notice this and so she just followed him hastily.
A microphone was shoved into her hand and then it was her turn to walk up on the stage.
The lights blinded her but she didn't mind because like this she couldn't see the other people in the room. Her view caught the four big chairs in front of her, all pointing backwards to her right now. She bit her lip and sent a prayer to God to make at least one of them turn for her. She wasn't sure if there even was a God above. But it couldn't hurt to pray once in a while.
While one hand clenched tightly around the microphone, her other hand wandered over her light blue dress which matched the colors of her bright blue eyes, at least that's what Mrs. Maleficent had said. She wore a black headband to keep her dark brown hair from falling into her face. White tights ended in black shoes.
A man next to the stage waved at her and counted with his hand to three, then the music started playing. Megan swallowed, closed her eyes and tried to imagine she would be all alone in a wonderful garden with blooming flowers everywhere. Then she lifted up the microphone and started to sing the chorus of the song.