Chapter 7

It didn't take them long to be allowed to spend the rest of the day together. Actually it took them a not so little donation to the orphanage, but Megan didn't know this and neither Benji nor Cameron were bothered by it. They wanted to help the orphans and they wanted to spend time with Megan, so it was like killing two birds with one stone.
Benji also hoped that this would help enable them to adopt Megan, even with them being famous and the possibility that Megan's life wouldn't stay as private as it was now. He feared that the youth welfare department wouldn't even give them a chance. Right now they were at hiatus with Good Charlotte, but they already talked about getting back together for a new album and when that happens they will go on tour later on. The youth welfare department could hold this against him. Even though Joel's, Billy's and Paul's wives were also alone with their kids during a tour and sometimes would even join them on the road, he wasn't sure if the department would let Cameron do the same.
It would be devastating to him if they wouldn't be allowed to adopt Megan. Everything that went through his head these days had all to do with the little girl he held in his arms. He wanted her to have a happy childhood from now on and wanted to see her grow up to be a great woman. He needed her in his life now, just as much as she needed him.
"What do you wanna do?", Benji asked the little girl. "We could take you to other places or we could just stay here. Whatever you feel like doing, we will try to make it possible."
"But we cannot go too far.", Cameron said. "We need to be back here by evening."
Benji sighed lightly and shrugged. If it was up to him, he would take her home with them right this second. But it was a long drive, hence why Cameron took a plane to meet up with them a few days ago. And as much as he wished for it, he couldn't just fly with them to the other side of the state and be back in the evening.
"Before we go, I need to introduce you to someone!", Megan said excitedly and moved in Benji's arms so he let her down. She grabbed his and Cameron's hand and pulled them out of the dining hall, down the hallway and into the dormitory. Mrs. Maleficent and Tim already went back to their work so the new little family wasn't bothered by the other adults. Cameron frowned at all the beds that were distributed in the room. There were bunk beds and small children's beds and even two or three normal sized beds. There wasn't much space for toys and even though that the wardrobes were all integrated in the wall, there was not much space in between the beds either. Megan led them towards a children's bed and pulled the blanket down to reveal a stuffed animal. She carefully picked it up and hugged it tight for a second. Then she turned towards the adults and showed them the animal.
"May I introduce: this is Dog!", she beamed at Benji and Cameron as if she would present her best friend to them. And maybe that was just what she was doing, Cameron thought. She bent down on her knees and gently took one of Dog's front paws.
"Hello Dog, my name is Cameron. It's nice to meet you.", she said and Megan chuckled.
"You know", she told the woman in a whisper. "He isn't real. He cannot talk back. But I always talk to him and still think he can understand what I'm saying."
Benji smiled at the girl's imagination and nodded, stroking over the stuffed animal's head.
"I am sure you are right.", he said and Megan smiled even more.
Mrs. Maleficent would always scold her when she caught her talking to Dog, but Benji and Cameron seemed to be fine with it.
"Can I take Dog with us today? He hasn't been outside for so long. And I would like him to have some fun, too."
Benji chuckled and nodded his head.
"Of course. Did you make up your mind where you want to go?"

The day they spent together was the happiest day of the little girl's life, at least as far as she could remember. First they went to have some breakfast, because Megan hadn't had the chance to eat anything at the orphanage. She had still been in the 'dark chamber' when breakfast was served, but she wasn't allowed to talk about it and she didn't want to ruin her chance to be adopted just because she revealed a secret.
Right after that they went to a playground nearby and while Cameron held Dog, Benji and Megan tried out all of the playground equipment.
Later they went to get some ice cream and that was when Megan saw a poster of 'How to train your dragon'.
She had just finished her ice cream and had wiped her mouth with a napkin that Cameron had reached her, when she stopped moving and stared at the black dragon that was on the poster.
"What is this?", she whispered and grabbed Benji's arm.
He stopped walking and followed her view. "That is a poster of a movie called 'How to train your dragon'. It's out now."
"A movie about dragons?" The little girl's voice was filled with excitement and she kept staring at the black dragon.
Cameron remembered that Megan had told her on the cab drive to the studios that she had never seen a movie. She placed her hand on Benji's shoulder to get his attention and smiled at him before turning to the girl.
"Maybe we should go and see it. Would you like that, Megan?"
The little girl nodded without taking her eyes off the poster. But then her body stiffened and she turned around to look at the two adults.
"But Mrs. Maleficent told us that there are no dragons. How can they make a movie about them when they are not real?"
Benji frowned lightly and shook his head.
"There are many things that you cannot see, but that doesn't mean they aren't real.", he told her and bent down to be face to face with her.
He didn't like it that the orphanage boss tried to take away the imagination of the children. When he was younger, he loved to make up stories with Joel and act them out. They would spent days playing the same story over and over again.
"But I can actually see the dragon, can't I?", the little girl said and looked back at the poster.
"They didn't take cameras to shoot the movie the way you would take a picture.", Cameron chimed in. "They did everything on computers. Someone imagined how those dragons may look like and drew them. With a lot of technical devices they are able to make them look like they are real, because nobody saw a real dragon for at least 200 years. And that's how we can see them nowadays."
Benji gave his wife a thankful smile and turned back to Megan.
"Do you want to see the movie?"
Megan nodded. Then she remembered her manners and said: "Yes, please. I'd love to see the dragons, even if they are not real ones."