Chapter 4

I still don't get why I should be jealous of that prick

I still don't get why I should be jealous of that prick. I mean, I don't really need to prove him wrong in spite of his many mistakes. But am I really sure he's the only one who made mistakes? Could I at least try to listen to his reasons, or am I just too proud to do so?

Anyway, Audrey notices that I'm too lost in my thoughts to answer her questions properly, so she lets me go. The first thing I do as I leave her house is swearing under my breath. "Damnit!" I exclaim, kicking a can by accident and hitting a trash bin.

I get back home with everyone else already sleeping, so I walk silently through the living room and the corridor upstairs till I reach my own room. I close the door behind me and sit on the bare floor, in front of my bed, taking slow and deep breaths.

***

Even though a few days have passed since I last went to Audrey and Jack's house, it looks like it happened years ago. Perhaps, it's a good thing after all, since he has never come to pester me lately. He must be busy with his "lover"; still, I suspect his relationship with Casey isn't true and he's "dating" her just to get back on me.

Meanwhile, I remember that I have to meet Audrey, Lilly and Alaina at the mall at 3pm. Strange enough, I don't want to go there. That's the perfect place for prissy bitches to reunite, turning everyone else's lives (including shop assistants, of course) into true hell. Though, it should be a place where to hang out in peace, not a madhouse for pampered divas.

As soon as I find my friends at the entrance of the huge building, I immediately attract some attention, though not in a positive way. Indeed, someone is giggling and whistling at me, which Audrey notices. "Look," she points out. "Amalia and Clara are pointing fingers at you. Don't you want to say something?"

I shake my head. Fighting Amalia Briar - better known as Ami - and her friend isn't worth my time. Those two brats have very little consideration of other people and are also the main cause of havoc at parties. This, however, is not the only reason for me and my friends to stay away from them as much as we can.

Anyway, we ignore them and move on towards the first floor. As we walk down the escalator, occasionally irritating people who claim to have just been pushed, we reach the food court and look for seats. Meanwhile, Alaina asks, "Do you think that I have chances of meeting Barrett today?"

Barrett is the guy she's heavily crushing on. He's said to be one of Jack's best friends, but I still appreciate his company and treat him as my own friend - well, obviously, when the prick is not around to disturb me. I want to make sure that Alaina is happy, anyway; fortunately for her, Barrett is nowhere near being like that asshole.

Not wanting to illude her, however, I just nod and smile at her, still assuring her that she'll get a chance with Barrett; she deserves it, for she's particularly smitten for him. On the other hand, it seems as Lilly is jealous of them: she's frowning at Alaina and shakes her head. I catch her and ask her with a hint of suspicion in my voice, "What's the problem with you? Are you okay?"

"Just shut up, Pallies. It's none of your business." Her harsh reply is proof that she's acting strangely. Perhaps she's just trying to be the blunt but honest friend, perhaps she's concerned that I'm too involved in this shit. However, there's still a little part of me that believes that she's not being a true friend. Not wanting to listen to all the little voices in my head, I stick my tongue and keep trailing behind my friends.

As we reach the food court, we line up at the long queue at McDonald's, occasionally looking around. In particular, Alaina asks again, "I think Barrett is in the area, do you?" Audrey and I don't say a single word or show any signs of disagreement. After being bluntly told off by Lilly, I don't feel like voicing my opinion on this matter anymore.

The queue gets longer and longer behind us, with Alaina still looking toward that direction. She moves a large strand of her wavy brown hair, before putting a hand on her forehead as if she was about to scan a large portion of the food court. And then, here he is, Barrett Wells in all his presence. To be honest, I don't see why Alaina has been waiting expectantly for him today.

His appearance is slob, untidy, just got off bed-like. He's just wearing a plain white T-shirt and a grey tracksuit with a pair of consumed, black Nike Air Max. On the other hand, Alaina looks a lot neater, wearing a cute green floral dress and a pair of brown boots. Well, it really looks like that slob guys and next-door girl-like, nice girls (almost) always match - and, yeah, Barrett and Alaina are no exception.

We, after a little deliberation (especially between Audrey and me, since Lilly isn't showing even the faintest interest in them), decide to leave them be for the remainder of the day. Therefore, I'm stuck with a ranting bitch who's becoming increasingly meaner to me and the talkative sister of the biggest prick I've ever known in my life. Worse still, I'm feeling like Audrey is going to talk about him non-stop during lunch.

As I try to douse my desperation in a giant Big Mac, a large Coke, a vanilla milkshake, a giant portion of fries covered in cheddar cheese and nine McNuggets, I have to bear with Lilly's stern glares of disapproval and disgust, as she claims to be on a strict diet, as well as Audrey's constant blabber about Jack and his mail-order girlfriend.

"You know him, Pallies, he'll get tired of Casey really soon," she comments, failing to drop her theatrics and irritating me to death. After taking a deep breath, she chuckles deviously, "And I think there's someone else who attracts him more than that whore..." She cuts herself off, laughing under her breath and rubbing her hands, before turning her intense gaze at me.