Part 7- Living in Hell

Nicole, Wynonna, John and Chrissy had been waiting in the hospital for a couple of hours on news for Waverly. She had been rushed in for emergency surgery. Nicole kept pacing backwards and forwards. She was really restless and worried, her eyes kept blurring over from the tears. A doctor finally came out. "We have managed to do the operation, stopped the internal bleeding. But I'm sorry she has fallen into a coma. It's up to Waverly now to pull through." The doctor informed them all of the news. Nicole and Wynonna broke down. Tears pouring from their eyes. Nicole was shaking and fell down in her seat, sobbing into her hands. "Can we go see her?" John asked the doctor. "Yes, having her loved ones around may help her to pull through."
The four got up and followed the doctor to Waverly's room. Nicole saw her. She looked like she was sleeping so peacefully. Only thing to let her know otherwise, was all the wires she was connected to. She walked up to the side of her bed, grabbed her hand gently, stroking her thumb against her knuckles. "Oh waves, baby, come on. You can fight this. Please come back to me baby." She leaned down and kissed her gently on her forehead. Wynonna around the other side of the bed also holding her hand. "Hey baby girl. You're a fighter. Come back to us. I can't lose you Waves. Come back to me." Tears streaming down her face. Nicole could see how close the sister's were. She weakly smiled to Wynonna.

Everyone left Waverly and Nicole alone together for the rest of the night. Nicole clung to Waverly's hand, head resting on her arm lightly. Still crying. "Baby I love you so much. I can't wait for you to be my wife. So we can start our life together properly." Nicole was talking to Waverly about everything. Hoping, praying she would get a response. But she just lay on the bed unresponsive.
It was getting late and Nicole had to go to work tomorrow. Although she didn't feel it. "Princess, I've got to go now. But I shall be back tomorrow, after work." She leaned down and kissed her gently on the cheek. "I love you baby. See you tomorrow." She kissed her hand and got up reluctantly to leave. As she got to the door, she looked back at Waverly and tears stung her eyes again. She walked out and headed home in a daze.

                       ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two weeks had passed and still no sign of Waverly waking up from her coma. Nicole had gone to visit her everyday after work and stayed till early hours of the morning. She was walking around in a daze. She was exhausted.

Nicole sat at her desk in the sheriff's office, trying to sort some paperwork out. But she couldn't focus. Her mind wandering back to Waverly. Her eyes started to well up again. "Oh Waves, when will you wake up baby." She muttered to herself.
"Hey Haught," Rosita stood behind her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "I've spoken to Nedley and he  said it's ok for you to go home. Go get some sleep. You need it."

"I can't sleep Rosie. I'm so worried a out her. It's been over two weeks now and she's not waking up. What if I lose Her?" She sobbed again. Rosita pulled her around and into a tight hug. " Well at least go home and try and rest a little and eat. You haven't eaten properly in a few days. She's gonna need you to be strong for her. For when she wakes. Be strong Haught. I'm here for you." Nicole just nodded into her shoulder. "Oh and Nedley has told me to let you know, Champ Hardy, he's been charged for attempted murder. He'll be locked away for a very long time."
"Good. That asshole, deserves it. He deserves more than just locking up. If Waverly doesn't wake up, I swear I'll kill him myself." Nicole said angrily.

She stood up and packed all her stuff ready to leave the office. "Listen, ermm thanks Rosie. You're a good friend." She managed to say in between chokes of tears. She walked out the office and headed back to the hospital to be with her Waverly.

                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A couple of months had passed by now. Nicole had been let off work on compassionate leave and She had let Wynonna stay with her so she could be with Waverly too. They both spent all their time in the hospital at Waverly's bedside. Nicole praying that she would wake. But still no sign. She was starting to lose hope and feeling more heart broken each passing minute. The doctor that was looking after her came into the room. "Miss Earp, Miss Haught, can I have a quiet word please?" They both nodded concerned and followed the doctor out of the room. "It has been a couple of months since Waverly went into her coma and I just want to prepare you for the worst. If she does manage to pull herself out of this, there is a great chance she will suffer memory loss. She has been in a coma for too long. Now I am unable to determine whether it will be short term, long term or permanent." Nicole couldn't stop the tears from falling. Her knees went weak and like jelly. She fell to the floor sobbing into her hands. Wynonna had tears stinging her eyes.