CHAPTER 5

Only one lie can create doubts about everything that someone says. The same does a secret. Everything can tear apart because of a secret. The people are not what they seem, but what they hide. The two brothers were hiding something, and I wanted to find out what. I didn't tell anything the others about what I heard outside. I wasn't planning on telling them until I knew something for sure. 

The next day I haven't heard anything from the Smith brothers.

"Jo, I'm going to sleep at Deby's place tonight. Do you want to come?" asks Crista.

"I'll call you if I come. I have some papers to do for Nadia."

"Ok. Don't lose this phone too. I don't have another one to give you" she laughs.

I looked at her unpleased and angry.

"Sorry. It was a bad joke. Call me if you change your mind!"

"Ok. Bye!"

I finished the papers soon, but I wasn't in the mood to sleep in another place. I went to make a tea. I took it with me, and I found the courage to enter my parent's room. Since the accident, we haven't got the courage to get into that chamber. Everything was untouched. I remember Nadia saying that we should call her when we decide to enter, to help us clean and move things. She was away, so I didn't want to share that moment with anyone. I sat on the bed and tasted the tea. Soon, I felt tears on my face. I opened the wardrobe, and I took out an old shirt. That smell was awakening so many beautiful memories, but unfortunately sad.

Among the clothes and the old smell, I saw a box made of wood. I opened it. There were pictures with us from our childhood. I looked at them for about half an hour. After this melancholic moment, I put the box back in its place. When I was about to leave the room, I dropped the cup of tea on the carpet. "Great." I had to move the bed, get out the carpet and wash it. My melancholic moment was over. I pulled the bed, pulled out the carpet and I saw two pieces on the floor that were painted darker. 

After a closer look, I realized there was a lock too. It was a type of door. But where did it go? I didn't remember to have a basement in there, or anywhere. I looked after a key in the whole room, but I couldn't find it. I went down to the kitchen. I checked the doors to be locked, and I called Crista. Not to tell her about what I had discovered, but to let her know that I wasn't going to Deby that night. I took a set of knives, forks, and other sharp stuff and I tried for an hour to open that lock. I wasn't a good thief so that I couldn't open it. Finally, I realized that all I had to do was to get angry enough, to use my power and done! The door opened, and a cloud of dust came out of there. I avoided it, but I was already dirty. Down there was even a switch above the stairs, which led me to an unknown basement. It looked not used for a long time. The smell was unbearable, and the dust measured at least three fingers.

There were old things and pictures. While I was searching for some clues, I found some old photos of me, from the childhood. Among others, I found my mom's journal. I put it aside, and I continued searching. A bunch of papers drew my attention. On them, I saw my name written. Josephine Elena Martin. I was shocked for a while because I couldn't understand why my parents kept a secret basement in their room. I gathered my strengths, and I read all the papers. Apparently, when I was only three months old, this name was given to me. The papers showed me that my parents were looking for a girl that was three years older than me. Her name was Kate Weber.

I continued searching, and I found Crista's birth certificate. I also discovered an act that was giving my parents my full custody. I was adopted. I supported myself on the wall, and I started trembling.

After more searching, I discovered a notebook. There was written, "Josephine Elena Weber" and a question mark. Then I realized that I had a bigger sister named Kate Weber. Crista wasn't my real sister. The room started to spin.