Waking Up

I'll have to draw what Sunfeather looks like, since the cover picture isn't exactly what I was looking for, but it has the right color scheme. I can give an ok description, but you need to get horse terminology for it. Sunfeather is a black and white filly with a white bald face, two stockings and one coronet, the stockings on her hind hooves and her coronet on her front right hoof. Her wingtips are a shiny gold color, hence her name. Her right eye is blue on the left half of her iris, fading into the normal dark brown of other horses. Her left eye is an impossible-in-normal-horses green, giving her herd another reason to abandon her. She can't fly because her wings are too big and drag on the ground. She's really friendly and gets bullied by the other foals in her pasture at the farm. *phew* I think I got it good. Please let me know if there's a more in-depth description I might be able to clear up for people. Some point I'm going to try and draw Sunlight for people to visualize better. Note try! Anyway, ON WITH THE STORY!!!

I wake up and drop my head instantly. My head is pounding, especially in the back, between my ears. I open my eye to see two . . . ARE THOSE EYEBALLS!? They're freaking green like my left eye! A really light brown creature looks at me over top of a wood square. I shakily start to get up, but the creature pushes the wood aside and walks toward me on TWO LEGS?! Where the heck am I?! Where's Momma? The creature drops to - I think her knees - and puts something to my cheek. I pull my head away, but the force of how hard I pull away makes my head pound again. I drop my head a bit, putting my ears back for a second. The creature gently takes my head in those appendages again and pulls my head to her chest. She seems to be pretty young, still. I see a larger creature appear and jolt to my hooves, shaking my head to clear the pain. The larger creature grabs me roughly around the belly and yanks me off the ground. I whinny loudly and flail my hooves, kicking him in the legs with my right hooves. He drops me and rubs his legs, sitting on a rectangle of dried grass. At least, I think that's dry grass. The smaller creature walks over to me, runner that weird appendage over my tense neck.

"Daddy, she needs to rest." The creature next to me says. She sounds like a filly, but I dunno. The creature on the grass grunts. It sounds male, like a grown stallion.

"Sarah, remember what I said. This filly is to be sold at the fair this year. That's next week." The Male says. "She needs to get used to being handled."

"Yeah, but not when she's being handled roughly. Honestly, you're treating her just like the one guy from that manga book!"

"Oh, that guy who tied that girl up in the barn and whipped all those horses and cows?"

"Yeah! Ingo is is name, I think!" The creature next to me says. She suddenly wraps her longer appendages around my neck, burying her face in my shoulder.

"Well, I don't care about your games or your comics. I care about keeping our farm!" The male yells. I jump twenty feet in the air and stumble a few steps away from him, pushing his filly with me. She gasps and grips me slightly tighter. Another creature, about as tall as the male, walks in with an apple and a bottle of white stuff. She gives the apple to a different horse, whose wood box is across from mine. The creature walks into my box and offers me the bottle. A nub is stuck on it. I hesitantly walk forward and wrap my mouth around the nub, chewing on it once. Some of the white stuff gets into my mouth. It's milk! I drink the whole bottle down and look at the creature holding the bottle. She rubs my head gently between my ears and sets the bottle on another rectangle of dried grass.

"That's called hay, little one." She says gently. She definitely sounds like a mare. I take a few steps closer to her. She feels safe, which I've never felt before, but I know what it is. "And we are called humans, but most of us call ourselves people. We all have names. I'm Jackie, he's John and that's our daughter Sarah." The creature says. "John wants to sell you to the fair in a week, but I have a better idea." John suddenly shoots up from his hay pile and walks over.

"And what would this idea be?" He demands. I step closer to Jackie again.

"Give her to Sarah. You keep promising her you would get her a horse, but you always sell the horses before she can even get to know them. Don't make promises if you won't make them." Jackie says. John growls. I jump behind Jackie. "Let her get the horse you keep promising her. Catch another horse by next week. I know you will." John sighs.

"Fine. But if I decide the filly is useless, she's getting the auction." John says, storming out of the box. Jackie sighs.

"Well, enjoy your stall, young one. I'm sure Night over there will keep you company." Jackie says, walking out of the stall. Sarah squeals quietly and wraps her appendages around me again.

"These are arms, if you didn't know." Sarah says, gesturing to them. "And these are hands and fingers." She smiles at me. "I'll be right back. I wanna grab something." She walks off, shutting the box behind her. I poke my head above the wood and see a large black horse looking at me. He looks nice, but looks can be deceiving. I drop my head a bit and avoid looking him in the eye until he speaks.

"Hallo, wie geht's?" He says. I tilt my head.

"W-what? I don't understand." I say. He huffs and takes a deep breath.

"I'm sorry. I said 'hi how are you'. I come from Germany, so it's sort of an instinct to speak German upon meeting new horses. My apologies." He says. I nod.

"I'm sorry, too." I say. Sarah comes back with something in her hand. I step back as she comes closer to my stall, moving the wooden square away and waking in before moving it back into place.

"Did you get acquainted with Night, Sunfeather?" Sarah asks. My ears twitch when she says 'Sunfeather'. Yeah, that's your name."