Adjusting

I look up at Sarah as she looks at me. How did she know my name? She smiles and rubs my nose with the middle of her hand. I look at Night, who nods.

"Sarah and Jackie are safe. It's John that you need to be careful with. Do everything he tells you to do, no more and no less. You'll be fine, filly." Night says calmly. Sarah leaves after a bit, but not before she pulls a block of hay into my stall. "Oh, she does that with every horse John says she can have. She always brings books in and reads them to her horses. If it's a comic, she lets you see the pictures, since that's part of the story. She's real nice."

"G-good to know." I say. "But, where's my mama?" I look at the ground.

"Your dam? I'm not quite sure. I think John was talking about having found you on your own. No other horses around you, I mean." Night says. Memories come flooding back like a rushing river. I remember what happened now.

"I remember now." I say. "My herd abandoned me because of how different I am. With the green eye, the all-too-large wings, and the looming prophecy, they just don't want anything to do with me anymore." I drop my head. "The over-stallion kicked the back of my head and ran off with the rest of the herd. Nobody looked back, that I can remember, not even my mama." 

"That's a lot to take in, filly." Night says, thinking. "Hang on. You're a pegasus, right?" I nod. "I am, too. I could teach you some stuff your herd couldn't."

"Like what?" I ask. "My herd was the only one out there, I thought."

"That's just what they wanted you to think." Night says. "I can teach you stuff from all five herds, including yours. You'll just have to be strong, ok?"

"Ok." I say. "Have you heard of the prophecy?" He shakes his head. "I can't remember the words exactly, but it talks about a foal that looks like me coming and bringing the herds together, either by conquering or uniting peacefully. If I have the choice, I'd go for peaceful if I get there."

"It had an age, right? Like an age to get started?" Night asks. I nod.

"My first birthday is when I'm supposed to get some intense power." I say.

"I've done some research on the power. I could try to help you with that, too. Especially since being here will help you get to your first birthday.

"Ok, I'm in.."