CHAPTER 1

It was springtime, where the flowers bloomed their most vibrant multi-colours in the Royal gardens, the trees were full of buds and their lolly green leaves slowly turning to a deeper, mature green. The birds chirped their beautiful songs from the open gold and white marble canopy window, the swirly patterned drapes were too heavy to flow in the cool breeze. The evening warm, yet refreshing sky had me in a trance. Right before my round blue eyes I witnessed the vast sky over the royal gardens and hill side change from its darkening baby blue to a soft rose pink. The white fluffy clouds capturing the golden yellows, oranges and purples. It was like someone had pressed the twilight button and the blue sky faded to its evening. I was so transfixed I hadn't realised my hand-maiden, Myra, had formally addressed me as her princess.

"Your Royal Highness." Turning on my small creamy heals hidden by the dark blue silky layers of my evening dress I saw Myra standing by my double, wooden bedroom doors. She bowed once I'd turned to her, a kind smile on her lips. Myra was twice the age of my mother Queen Genevieve, she'd helped her raise me from a babe, since my mother was very young herself and didn't have her own mother around to assist. Once I was old enough to look after myself I'd asked mother to appoint Myra my personal hand-maiden and it was done.

"Myra." I acknowledged her presence. "Why the formalities?" I questioned, furrowing my brow slightly. Myra wore her usual black and white work uniform, consisting of a plain jet black ankle length dress with long sleeves ending at her freckled wrists. A clean white apron tied around her hourglass waist, reaching up to her chest in the shape of a square, pinned down to the material of her black dress. Matching the white apron was a bonnet pinned down to her neatly tied back midnight black hair. I'd never actually seen Myra with her hair out before, not even on her days off.

"Milady, since we are having a formal ball to celebrate your mother's 31st birthday I thought it would be appropriate." Myra bowed again slightly in respect and I waved my hand gracefully ushering her to come over. Myra shut the one door she opened to enter in the process.

"Very well." I nodded once. "I suppose I should get ready for the ball then? Have guests started arriving?" Myra stopped a couple of metres from me and held her hands over her lower stomach, smiling in agreement.

"Yes milady, I saw four carriages parked outside and another entering the courtyard on my way up to you." Myra answered, her ageing green eyes catching the evening light.

I nodded in acknowledgement. "And Eric?"

Myra shook her head. "I have not seen him yet milady." As Myra quickly saw my disappointment she continued, "But I'm sure he will arrive very soon. Eric may be tending to his mother. What dress would you like to wear tonight milady?" I was glad Myra changed the subject, moving on.

"Choose for me Myra." I quickly added, "And please don't pick that bright hot pink dress mother made me wear for tea with the Martonsons. I don't know what she was thinking."

Myra chuckled at me, her wrinkled eyes squinting in amusement and nodded knowingly, "Yes milady." As Myra stepped inside my walk-in closet where all of my dresses and shoes are kept I started undoing the pins and ties on my dark blue evening dress.
Dropping the dress to the floor I stood in nothing but my soft pink corset, keeping my torso tight and shaped. My stockings reached up under the hem of the simple skirt kept under my corset. I felt a shiver run up the skin of my bare arms as they became exposed to the evening air. After hanging my dress over the back of my golden swirled framed, dark red cushioned seat half tucked under my wooden dressing table and mirror, I stepped behind three bent screen divider. The divider was framed with golden swirls and a painting of two children playing near a tree all framed by flower covered curtains. The divider was given as a gift years ago by my mothers best friend, duchess Elizabeth Martonson, she said the children in the painting were of Eric and myself from when we were young children.