twenty: Chile

*ABOVE PICTURE* (left to right): Dylan, Bella, Tripp, Evelyn

Bella:

"O-Ow!" I yelp as yet ANOTHER branch scrapes my arm. This one in particular produced some bright red blood to seep out of my skin. Ouch.

"Would you stop complaining? It's not really helping us in the quest for the bocawhatever." Evelyn huffs. It'd been at least four or five hours that we'd been trekking through this never-ending  forest. Though it took quite a few stops and a lot of Tripp's fluency in Spanish, we finally met a native who pointed us in the right direction of the jungle that held our precious cure. And so we began our hike. Sadly, it's more painful than helpful as of right now.

I narrow my eyes at her.

"And why exactly is the quest for the bocawhatever suddenly just so important to you?" I glare at her. 

She rolls her eyes. "Bella, I don't know what I can do to make you trust me. I protected you from that foreign perv, flew you on a plane to Chile, and have shown you nothing but kindness. Yet you still can't utter one word of grace towards me." 

I remain silent and focus on trying to get on top of the rock in front of me. Safe to say that short legs don't really go with hiking. I launch my right leg up on top of the rock, or should I say boulder, and balance my hands on the sides of it. I attempt to push myself up but I keep falling back on my left foot. 

Suddenly, I feel strong arms grasp my waist and effortlessly lift me up on the rock. I look behind me and see Tripp, seemingly unfazed by his gesture. He easily gets up on the boulder and continues walking forward.

Well that was alarmingly demeaning.

But it was also surprisingly making me blush.

A small smile appeared on my face and I ran to catch up with the group.

Dylan:

My eyes scan the map for the thousandth time as I push past branches and thorns. My body was here but my mind was somewhere else.

On someone else.

I push the thought away. This was about Tyler. My best friend. The guy that's been there since my awful first day of the friend breakup between me and Bella. His life is on the line. I won't let him die.

I run into a tree.

"A-Ah OWW!" I cry as my hand flies to my eye and clutches it.

I feel Tripp's presence in front of me.

"Hey man, I told you to look up from that map once in awhile. Keep your eyes aware of your surroundings. You good?" he asks, offering a hand.

I scoff and brush past him. "I'm fine."

Why should I take his help? I don't want his help nor do I need it. Not with this, not with anything. He should go help Bella. She's the one struggling to climb over a 2 foot rock.

Evelyn, who somehow seems to be leading the group, twirls on her heel and looks up at the sky. 

"It's getting dark. We won't find much of anything in this light. We need to set up camp somewhere." she states bluntly.

She was right. It was almost completely pitch black and we needed to start setting up the tents. The tents that I, might I add, so brilliantly made us buy before the hike. I sling the large backpack on my back over my shoulder and yanked out the simple tent. Tripp follows suit.

...

I stood back, proud of my work. I had successfully set up two tents all by myself. 

Okay fine. Tripp helped. A little.

Okay fine. A lot.

Regardless, the place looked more than not too shabby. Reluctantly, I will be sharing a tent with Tripp. I guess boys sharing and girls sharing makes sense. I'm more worried about Bella and Evelyn together. Bella looked like she was going to rip Evelyn's head off at any given moment. 

I wonder who would win in a fight between the two of them. Hmm.

A twig snaps behind me, breaking my train of thought. I spin around to witness Tripp with his hands in the air.

"Just me, man. I come in peace" he grins. Damn him and his stupid charming smile, I bet girls fall for that all the time. 

I pause for a second. I unclench the fist I hadn't noticed had balled up.

I give him a half smile and a shrug.

No use in hating him this whole trip, it won't do us any good. Maybe he and Bella are happy together. That's all I ever wanted for her. Happiness. Maybe I could get over her. Maybe we can stay friends. Just normal friends. And maybe I could be friends with Tripp. Maybe this is for the best. Things don't alway work out the way you want them to. That's just life. Why hate it? 

"Okay."