1- The Masons

Dear me,
It's Monday, today I'll be going to my new home. Not sure how to feel about it honestly. I'm moving in with the Masons now. They seem nice from what I have been told. They seem a happy family which makes me think I won't like it at all there since I'm clearly not happy. They're just gonna be too joyful and it'll annoy me and they'll not like me. It's a married couple. They have 2 kids. Steph who's 5 years old and Chloe who's around my age. I wish I could just find a family that'll keep me forever so I will stop moving around. Talk to you later. Sincerely me.

I close my diary when I finish writing and put it in my bag that I'm taking with me to the new family I'm moving into. Which I'm not excited for at all. By the way, I'm Emma, I'm 16 years old. I have been in the foster system for 5 years and I'm tired of it. I won't bore you with my whole life story. It'll have to wait.

I get in the car of my social worker, Mark. He's been my social worker since the beginning of me getting into the foster system. He's really nice and I like him. Not sure if he likes me though.

He starts driving to the Masons. I look out of the window wondering what adventure is upon me now. I'm sick of moving around all the time. I just want a family that will like me and adopt me. But I doubt it'll ever happen. Only 2 years away and I'll be an adult then I'll have to live on my own and I don't have a clue how in god's name I'll ever be able to do that.

Suddenly Mark starts talking. "This home will be good for you." He tells me. I look at him for a second and then look away again. If you haven't noticed I don't like talking to people. I just don't know what to say. I'll just make a fool out of myself.

We get to the Masons house and I get out of the car. I feel myself a little shaky. I don't know these people like at all. They're complete strangers and I'm supposed to live with them. Every time I move into a new home I get shaky and really scared.

Mark and I walk up to the house and he knocks on the door. The door opens shortly after and we get greeted by a woman and a man. "Good afternoon Sherly and Jack." Mark says to the couple. They shake hands and then let us in. "So this is Emma." Mark says pointing to me. I shyly smile but don't say a word. They put their hand out for me to shake and I look at them shocked. I'm uncomfortable in these kind of situations. I don't shake them, they put their hands away and I just keep staring into space. I hear mumbles coming from Mark but I can't figure out what he says. 

Mark turns to me and I look at him. "You okay Emma?" He asks me. I nod slowly. Suddenly I hear people coming down the stairs. I look at the stairs quickly and see two girls coming down. They must be Steph and Chloe. Steph looks really cute and Chloe, she looks.... punk? Is that the word for it? I don't know. She has brown hair with a streak of blue in it. She's wearing black Jeans and a leather kind of jacket. She looks like she is going to hate me. 

Their parents notice that they've come into the room. "This is Steph and Chloe. Our daughters." Sherley says. I just nod. 

"Why don't you go talk to them for a while, while I handle some things with Sherley and Jack." Mark says to me and I nod. I'm a little afraid to talk to Chloe and Steph. Especially Chloe because she is my age. With Steph I don't have that concern as much cause she is only 5 years old and she doesn't really think what other people say. Kids are way easier to talk to.

I walk up to Chloe and Steph. "Hi you're Emma right?" Chloe asks me and I just nod. "You don't talk much do you?" She asks and I just stand there still. "So how old are you?" She asks. Another question. Does she ever shut up? "16. I say very quietly. "Oh so the same as me." She says and I nod. "You know I have to show you around school and babysit you right?" She says getting a little angry at this time. What is with this girl. She was all sweet and now she's getting angry at me. I nod shyly and I step away a little. "Yeah don't expect me to do that." She says and with that she walks away and goes back upstairs. 

I guess Sherley, Jack and Mark heard her because they come towards me and Steph. "I'm sorry about that." Sherley says. "She's grumpy sometimes." She continues. Sherley picks up Steph. I am sure I am not gonna like it here.