Twelve

Do you know, if you wake up at around 3:00 am then there's a ninety percent possibility that someone or something is watching you sleep? I opened my eyes to the dim lighting of my room, except for the street lights spilling through the closed curtains of my windows. I like to sleep with absolutely no lights on, so I reached out to try and adjust the curtains so that no light would enter my room.

"Hurry up!" I heard a faint whisper. I must be imagining things now. Since my winter vacations started, I've been spending most of my time watching horror/gore movies or romance dramas. This must be an aftereffect of watching them.

I checked my phone.

29th December, 2017
3:13 am
<< 43 unread message(s) >>

I didn't dare open my inbox after that day and then I realized that I had been receiving messages from the same number repeatedly. I even received a few calls, but I just left them ringing. Why don't I just block the number? I don't want to. I'm pretty sure this is Jun's new phone number and I don't want to shut him out of my life. I'll reach out to him when I'm prepared to face him. I'll open the messages when I'm prepared to read what's written in them.

"Shh. Keep quiet." I heard another soft whisper followed by some rustling in the living room. It was more evident this time. I removed the blanket and grabbed my pocket knife that I always keep under my bed. What if I wasn't imagining things and someone had really broken into my apartment?

I stepped into the living room, greeted by deafening silence. I tightened my grip on the tiny knife until, strong fingers wrapped around my wrist while another hand clamped over my mouth. I screamed, but my voice was muffled by the person that was trying their best to yank the knife out of my hand. I was still half asleep, so it was difficult to think of an escape, but I tried my best to push the person away. I bit the hand that was covering my mouth and tried elbowing the person in the chest, but there was another person, probably their accomplice that covered my nose with a tissue paper. I smelled something strangely addictive, something intoxicating that seemed to have taken over my senses. My surroundings were getting blurry, until they went completely blank.

_____________________

"You guys seriously did it?" I heard someone ask in amusement before they broke into laughter.

"Not funny, Chen." Someone deadpanned.

"What if she doesn't wake up at all?" I heard another voice asking in panic.

"That's not how it works. Don't scare me."

Why does my head ache so much? And why are these people around me shouting so loudly? I slowly opened my eyes and I realized that my head was resting on someone's shoulder. I was relieved when I saw Maeji and Kai in front of me. At least, I didn't get kidnapped by people that could possibly steal my kidneys.

"What the fuck?" was the first thing I said after I opened my eyes. I was probably in a bus that was moving and it was still a little dark outside the window.

"I think she woke up." Kai whispered to them. I stirred a little and tried to sit up right, but my head was throbbing and it was difficult to think in the situation. Chen waved his hand in front of my eyes and I couldn't help but slap it away.

"You're awake." Maeji smiled.

"Are you on drugs?" I asked her when I was fully awake. "I can't believe you went as far as kidnapping me just because I didn't agree to celebrate the New Year with you." I said in disbelief, but low key, this is something I would do. I noticed that the person beside me was Baekhyun and he was sleeping like a dead log, least bothered about the fact that his friends are potential kidnappers.