5. What Are We?

"I-I'm so sorry! I-I didn't mean t-to!", I said, panicked. I couldn't look at James in the eye, for fear of what I could possibly find there. Disgust, horror, terror, hate..

"A-Alex I-I...", James started but I ran into my house. I found my mother looking at me strangely, but I suppose my watery eyes told her enough.

I ran straight to my room, starting to cry once I crashed onto my bed. I had noticed how James's voice had shook. He most likely was disgusted by me. Maybe Thomas had realized more than I had. Maybe I really was falling for James.. but it was obvious that James hated me now.

~~~~~

I could barely face going to school, but my mom was definitely not gonna let me stay home. She told me it was better to face it then and now rather than later. So, with a long face and a broken heart, and most horrible weight in my stomach, I set off to school.

When I arrived, I was greeted by Aaron, John, Lafayette, and Hercules. They all smiled and they began a conversation. I only half listened, for James had arrived and was making headway toward me.

"Guys, mind if I take Alex away from you for a bit?", he asked with a small smile. The guys nodded and he led me away into the guys bathroom.

"Alex, we need to–", James began but I cut him off.
"I know..you hate me..I ruined things between us with that kiss. It was against my better judgement. I'm so sorry, I wish I hadn't done so, you obviously didn't like it—", I started rambling before being cut off by James's lips. It was gentle, sweet, and everything I had ever imagined, but it was completely shocking.

"Alex, I like you a lot.."

My heart began to flutter. Was this real? This wasn't a dream??

"J-James I-I.."
"I know it's weird but, I've always had a thing for you since middle school..", James said softly, blushing hard.

I couldn't help it. I grabbed James again, kissing him with more force than before, feeling James deepen the kiss. I separated reluctantly after a while, having heard the bell ring.

"T-Thomas..?", James said curiously. I turned around to see Thomas Jefferson standing there, eyes wide and hands laying limply on his side. I looked at him, frowning a bit.

"No one's stopping you from using the bathroom Jefferson", I said.

Thomas shook his head, eyes still wide. I wasn't sure, but they looked...heartbroken. Well, it looked the same as his mothers eyes had looked when my father had left.

The sadness was quickly replaced however with cold hard cruelty.
"I'm going to make your life a living hell..", Thomas said. I took James's hand and walked away. I didn't notice however, that Thomas had been looking at James when he had said those words.

~~~~~

"So...what are we...?"

James and I had gotten time to be alone, seeing that John, Peggy, Hercules, and Laf had seen something going down with some of the students and wanted in.

"What do you mean?", I asked.
"I mean, are we together now or something?", James said with a small shrug.
"I-I mean...I guess...", I blushed.
"Oh so...uhm...I can call you my boyfriend and stuff...?", James blushed as well.
"No I wanna do this properly. James, will you be my boyfriend?", I asked with a grin.
"Of course", James said with a giggle.

We sat in silence for a while.

"That was easier than I expected."
"Same here", James chuckled.

~~~~~

"OMG YES!!!!"
"Mom please calm down"
"IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU I CANT HELP IT!!", My mom yelled, tears in her eyes. "My baby's growing up!!"

James laughed, smiling at my mother. He was meeting her for the first time and I could tell that he already liked her.
"Pleasure to meet you Mrs. Hamilton", he said, holding out his hand.
"The feeling is mutual", she said with a smile. James smiled back at her, then looked at me, and I promptly shrugged.

"Well yea that's my mom... sooo.."
"Hey hey hey! We are going to have a nice dinner together. Sit down and tell me about yourself James", my mother said as she began placing the food on the table.