Chapter Six: Whispering Spirit And Pool Hazards

Mai

After the teacher gave a short explanation about the new students which were there as a part of an 'exchange program' for a few days and another short introduction of them to the group, they were asked to take seat in the available chairs, right at the back of the room. Mostly by instinct, Mai avoided sit next to the girl with long black hair who looked at her with something close to hatred at the end of the middle row of seats, and choose the seat next to the window. Naru however, choose to sit between her and the girl with the icy glare, while Masako and John sat in the last two seats closer to the door.

There was a bit of whispering among the students and most of the girls were giving Naru and John glances that ended with giggles. Poor things, Mai thought, as none of them have a change with either of them. Naru was simply Naru, too focus on work and research to find girls interesting and John was a priest bonded with religion. Once the teacher resumed classes again all whispers die and everyone was back to focus in the English lesson being though. Because it was an advance class, almost everything said was alien to her. She understood some English, but basic at best, not a fluent fast one she could barely catch.

At her side, Naru gave her glances with some amusement (she was sure he was enjoying seen her internally freaking out), as he knew she was barely catching on and the teacher wanted to prove they were there for academic reasons and not to hunt the rumored ghost behind the attacks. Obviously, Naru and John have no problems in answering the questions with their fluent English and Masako was doing quite well on her own, not as fluent as the other two, but good enough to satisfy the teacher. Nonetheless, when the first question was directed at her, she simply panic. Her hands begin to sweat and she hoped that the earth was kind enough to swallow her at that moment and spare her the coming humiliation and that's when she heard it.

"Mai, just repeat exactly the same as me." A voice that she had heard before while in her dreams, whisper to her. For a second, she thought it was none other than Naru, but glancing at him for the fraction of a second, she was sure that Naru have nothing to do with it, because she could see he was expecting her to fail, miserably.

"Who are you?" Mai thought, while the teacher waited for her response.

"A good friend, just repeat after me and don't worry, no one, not even the idiot scientist next to you can hear me." The whispering voice said and doing as she was told, she repeated every single word the best way she could. The questioning keep up for a bit and every time, she simply repeated word for word until the teacher looked satisfy with her answers. After the lesson resumed with the rest of the group, she found Naru looking at her a bit surprised of perhaps intrigued. He probably wasn't expecting her to answer the questions the way she did or he was suspecting that there was something... out of place.

Ryan, however was slightly smiling two seats in front of Mai. He had felt Gene's presence near her and although he could not see him, he could faintly hear him whispering the answers to the girl. It was a bit strange that in that moment, the twins were next to each other and yet, Oliver was not aware of his presence, nor able to hear him. He wonder just what was the link bonding the three together and the story behind Mai Taniyama and how she end up meeting both brothers. His father had been intrigued before, so he had asked Martin, but he never heard the story himself.

"It's not that hard to guess, Ryan. I was looking for the bond I share with Noll and find Mai instead. Somehow, we connected and I end up being her spiritual guide. About those two, as you can guess, he likes her, she likes him, but he is too blind to see it and too proud to admit he can be emotionally sweep by a girl." Gene's voice said inside his head, taking him by surprise. Noll looked his way, still, Ryan pretend to focus in the class.