Chapter 13: To the Bone

Sight came back to me first. My eyes were filled with grey. I blinked, my eyelashes catching and threatening to stick. Was I dreaming?

Then I felt the pain. It started as a dull ache in my leg that grew like an explosion. Remnants of a memory flashed through my mind: standing in a forest, running after Lady Florence, lying on the floor with a blade pressed against my heart.

Perhaps grey was the colour of death.

"Calla?" Merton's voice echoed in my ears. "Are you awake?"

Please don't let him be dead, too.

"Commander?" Cordelia said. "Calla! Can you hear us?"

A hand cupped my cheek and turned my head. My eyes slid along the scenery: a corner, then a grey wall, then Merton's pale face.

I frowned and raised my eyes to the grey I'd been looking at. It was only the ceiling of a private room in the medical ward.

"I'll fetch Princess Lissa." Merton rose from his chair, a faint smile touching his lips. "It's good to see you awake."

Cordelia leaned forward as he left. "Oh, Calla! I'm so glad you're all right."

I wet my lips, but my throat was too scratchy to talk. I took stock of the room instead. A heavy winter cloak was slunk over Merton's chair like a blanket. There was a mug on the table and an untouched glass of water that had gone stale. I lifted it with shaking hands and took a few sips. When I set it down, the back of my hand brushed against the mug. It was cold, and inside I found dregs of tea that had to be at least a few days old. Panic fluttered through my chest. "How -- how long --"

"Two days," Cordelia said. "We were all worried sick. You're in so much trouble with Merton."

The door swung open as if on cue, and Merton strode back in again. He glowered. "Why are you sitting up? For the gods' --"

"She must be feeling a bit better if she can move," Princess Lissa said cheerfully, stepping in behind him. "How are you, Calla?"

I cleared my throat. "Ugh...well, my leg is..." The pain was too much to talk about.

"But nothing else hurts? You don't feel unwell?" She lifted up my blanket and looked at my leg. Merton watched her like a hawk.

"No."

"Good." She dropped the blanket. "It doesn't look any worse. I'll change the dressing and see if my staff can help with the pain. Hold on a moment while I fetch my kit. I rushed in here without stopping to gather anything."

Merton sat down, his eyes fixed on me. "Are you certain you feel all right?"

"As right as I can be. How much have I missed? What happened after you brought me back here? Did you get hurt? Did --"

He held up his hands, a flicker of amusement in his eyes. "Fine, you're full of energy. Give me a chance to answer your questions. Lady Florence and three of her men have been imprisoned and are awaiting trial. After such a violent attack, there is no question that she will be found guilty. The only question is what her punishment will be. She may remain in the dungeons for life, but it's more likely that she will receive a death sentence after she has given birth."

"What happened to the rest of her men?"

"They were so intent on killing us that it was difficult to even arrest three. The others died in the battle."

"Did any of them hurt you? Did she hurt you?"

He frowned. "No. Don't worry about me. The only person she hurt was you."