Chapter 1: Arrival in Mystery Spell

I'd been accepted at a University in Mystery Spell. I was taking the first step towards my dream of being a fashion designer. I'd taken up a job as an Au Pair with the Bartholy family, I was to take care of their little sister. I sat and looked out the window of the train. This was a fresh start for me. A way to bury the past once and for all. A chance to free myself of my demons and be happy.

I looked at my backpack that contained all worldly possessions; my sketchpad and pencils, a few items of clothing, some pictures of my family, a journal, a few books, my camera, my purse and my phone. I had my Grandmothers necklace around my neck at all times. I never stopped wearing it; a silver, sapphire encrusted locket. My main pieces of furniture would be arriving at the Bartholy house tomorrow.

The train pulled into Mystery Spell in the early evening, but it was already dark. I pulled out my GPS and started walking towards the mansion. The wind was cold and biting so I quickened my pace and pulled my scarf tighter around me. The air suddenly shifted in a way that was all too familiar to me; spirits. My Grandmother explained to me, just before she died, that I had a gift. One that would be difficult to live with. I've known I was a psychic medium since I was little, and for years I'd worked to control the gift and keep it hidden. I blocked out the voices with a mental barrier and kept walking.

Everything was going fine until I walked past a graveyard. Ghouls. And hellhounds. Shit.

I could hear the screams and wails of agony the tormented souls as they were being tortured and devoured by their ominous counterparts. The negative energy that was looming over the vicinity was slowly draining my mental energy. The cries were deafening and I began to lose my balance.

I knew if I didn't do something soon, I'd pass out and they'd devour my soul. I summoned what magic I had and drew an exorcism symbol in the earth. I poured my energy into the symbol and channeled it through the earth. It connected with the trapped souls and released them to the other side. The air was now less heavy and oppressive, and I could breathe more easily now. I stood up, unsteady, and proceeded to make my way the Bartholy residence.

I arrived in front of a large manor house. Was this the place? The air wasn't oppressive, but it had a certain heaviness to it. Spirits? No, I couldn't feel any residual activity. I put the thought into the back of my mind as it suddenly started snowing heavily. By the time I made my way up the long driveway, there was a thin blanket covering the ground. I was pretty sure I looked like a snowman by the time I knocked on the door.

A tall young man with long brown hair and a kind smile answered and let me in saying, "You must be Ophelia Bardot."

"Yes, that's me!" I reply in my usual chirpy tone.

"I'm Nicolae Bartholy, head of the family while our father is away on business indefinitely," he smiled, then looking at my backpack, "Do you not have any other bags?"

"No, I'm like a Buddist monk; very few worldly possessions," I grinned sheepishly.

He chuckled at my comment and said, "Lorie is already in bed, so you'll meet her tomorrow. I'll show you to your room."

He did just that and as he explained the rules of the house to me, I unpacked my bag. He left after I said I wasn't hungry and I got ready for bed. I drew a bath to warm myself up and pulled on my white tank top and fleecy sweatpants. I plaited my wavy red hair into a side braid and snuggled under the covers, falling into a deep sleep.

I had a strange sleep. It felt like someone was watching me sleep, my eyes opened groggily and I could see a shadow with emerald eyes at the foot of my bed. Closed my eyes, thinking it was a benevolent spirit, as I didn't feel any danger and rolled over onto my side. I felt the bed sink slightly and I sighed a little. It was watching me sleep. Great. I could feel movement as the spirit caressed my cheek in a soothing manner, and I sound drifted off once again.