Chapter 4: Links to the past

When I got back to the manor Nicolae was visibly worried. He looked as though he was about to scold me like a child, but he seemed to take one look at my face and decided against it. He sent me to bed and expressed relief that I was safe. I went to my room quietly, washed, changed and put my hair into a side braid and climbed into bed.

I woke up in the middle of a large house. It looked like a log cabin. It was warm, welcoming and cozy. The open log fire was burning bright, there was snow outside and jagged mountain peaks in the distance. There was a young blonde haired woman sitting in the room. She was cradling a small baby, humming softly. I recognized the tune but I had no idea why or how.

She was dressed in a white robe and casting balls of light around the child, making it giggle. Was this woman a witch. A tall, dark figure of a man that I couldn't distinguish, his features. He embraced them both lovingly. The scene was so touching it made me smile.

The cabin was suddenly plunged into darkness and there was fire and chanting coming from the outside of the cabin. The young woman panicked and she was urged to run away by the male figure, whilst he turned to go outside to manage the chaos. I could recognize the chanting of spells, and the figure of the man screamed as he was sealed away in a mirror. 

I felt frightened and followed the woman in the direction she had fled. I heard a scream and a loud crash, followed by the baby crying. I entered the room and saw a robed figure standing over the woman, who was bleeding on the floor, with an engraved silver dagger. The baby was nowhere to be seen. I looked out the window and saw another man holding the baby. I called out to him but no sound came out.

I panicked. I was suddenly plunged into a pool of freezing water. I struggled in vain. No matter how much I clawed to get to the surface it constantly stayed out of my reach. I suddenly couldn't move, as if my limbs were pinned down by something. I went limp and sank beneath the surface. Deeper and deeper. I let myself go. I closed my eyes.

I woke up with a start. I was sweating, panting and gasping for air. What the hell was that? I glanced at the clock: 5:54 am. I wasn't going to be able to go back to sleep, so I got out of bed and began getting ready. I showered, let my curly red hair down, changed into some jeans, ankle boots, and a light, off-shoulder jumper. I tiptoed downstairs and made myself a cup of tea. I sat down on a kitchen stool and made myself some cereal.

I woke up Lorie and got her ready for school. She refused to eat the breakfast I'd prepared for her, so I eventually gave up and walked her to school before going to the public library. School didn't start for me for another week. I walked into the Library and looked at the religion and spirituality section, I even looked in the non-fiction and fantasy section I was desperate for answers. I dug through a variety of sources that denounced mediums as charlatans and those that didn't have conflicting information. I was able to find out how I could utilize crystals to protect myself from unwanted spiritual visitors as well as for clearer dreams, and some teas I could drink for better sleep, the power of lavender and other flower combinations to create an energy positive atmosphere for readings and communication.

I put my books back on the shelves a little fed up with the lack of answers. I decided to try my luck on the internet because that's a reliable source! Damn, I'm desperate for answers. After a few hours of searching, I was no further forward than I was when I entered. I had another hour before I had to pick Lorie up from school. I glanced around, there was no one in the library except the staff members. I closed my eyes and poured my energy into finding what I wanted. Objects have an aura, and I was reaching out to find a particular object. I'd caught wind of a trail. I followed it upstairs, I could hear the wind in my ears as I walked, smell the earth, feel the heat of fire under my skin and the cool flow of water beneath my feet. Another new sensation. It got stronger as I got closer to the object. I walked quickly through the aisles of books and came across a section in a foreign language. I looked at the English translation on the sign; Latin section.

Why was I here? I followed the sensation to a secluded area and a small, thick and dusty tome on one of the shelves seemed to have a glow around it. I picked it up off the shelf and flicked through its old, browning pages. It was written entirely in Latin. There were drawings of symbols, what looked like recipes, and I felt oddly drawn to it. I closed the book and held it to my chest tightly. I checked it out. The librarian looked at me warily for checking out a book that had a creepy skull on the front. I could feel its energy pulsing in my bag. I felt powerful.

I had a few minutes before Lorie came out of school so I flicked through the pages of the book, and to my amazement, the words translated into English before my eyes. There were spells, potion recipes for things like attraction and temporarily altering your appearance. I'd picked up a book of shadows! I was a medium. I couldn't cast spells, but I could definitely use the potions. Why was the book so creepy looking though? I flicked through it some more; there was a very old map of the town, with markings in certain locations. I'd have to check them out at a later date.

Lorie came out of school sulking.

"What's up Lorie?" I asked.

"There's a boy at school who keeps picking on me!" She huffed.

"Really? Who?" I questioned.

"His name is James," she scowled, blushing a little.

"Do you like James?" I teased.

"No!" she protested, turning red.

I grin, "When boys at your age pick on girls, it usually because they like them and don't know how else to express it."

"James DOES NOT like me!" she huffed.

I sighed, ah childhood. I remember it well.