7: Blue Blooded Friendship

The next morning I got up at seven o' clock, and a lot of time doing my morning rituals- especially my bath.

I wore a tank top and denim shorts because all the fire lit lamps in the palace and the general humidity I the weather made me feel all sweaty and hot, and who wants to wear a lehenga in such oppressive weather when you have normal clothes to wear.

Suvarna got the shock of her life when she saw my outfit; she put her hands on her eyes to shield them and begged me to change into something decent.

People in this era don't expose so much skin...well, I get it, but she reacted as though I was going to roam around in nothing but my underwear.

She tirelessly urged me to wear a gorgeous lehenga, but I declined the offer. She gave up soon enough, but not before saying that I did not have to wear such tiny clothes to seek attention and that if I wanted to impress Neel then I could choose from a special set of dresses and she would help me deck up.

I cringed at the thought of me dressing up for Neel. Oh my god! What did she think we were?! I'm pretty sure she had presumed that I was his betrothed or something.

I waved my hands in frustration and groaned. There was absolutely no point in trying to explain things to her. I don't really blame her though. But this is what happens when child marriage is prevalent and people start getting all deviating ideas when a girl and a boy are friends.

Not that we are friends yet, mind you.

I'm pretty sure she thought I was going through a rebellious phase because of my clothes, but if I told her that everyone wears shorts and tank tops in the 21st Century then she would start believing that the people of her glorious kingdom went on to become a kingdom of strippers, or something along those lines.

I shook my head. Pretending that nothing unusual had occurred, I walked out of the room.

I decided to go outside and get some fresh air before breakfast.

Besides, Neel the sleepyhead that he is was still sleeping like a log. Thank heavens that he didn't drool, because if did I would have demanded a separate room without a second thought. You know how it looks when your saliva dries up around the periphery of your mouth and becomes white and sticky. Well it looks absolutely, atrociously disgusting!!

_________________________________

A girl in a wine coloured lehenga approached me, accompanied by two attendants. I had no idea who she was since I hadn't had a chance to be introduced to all the inhabitants of the palace. There was no doubt that she was blue blooded. It was impossible to mistake her for her an attendant or a peasant with her fine clothes and proud gait.

I wondered what she wanted from me.

She was about my age, maybe a little younger. She looked at me intently, wonder written all over her beautiful face.

But she said politely, with a bright smile, "Good morning! My name is Sanghamitra. My older brother, Mahindra, has told me so much about you. I was looking forward to meeting you yesterday, but unfortunately you were late for dinner and I'm supposed to retire to my bedroom immediately after it so I was unable to."

I introduced myself (I remembered this time), "I'm Tara and it is lovely to meet you!"

Sanghamitra was as sweet as her older brother, Mahindra and a great host just like him but their similarities stopped right there. While Mahindra was proud of who he was and talkative, Sanghamitra was down to earth and a little shy. I instantly took a liking to her and we continued to walk down the trail as we talked.