13: FIRE!....Just Kidding

“Get out of the bathroom right now!” Neel yelled from outside, “I need to pee!”

I chuckled and said, “Come on, I know you can hold it in a little while longer!”

“Tara stop joking, I swear I’m going to barge in.” he sounded a little aggravated.

“Hey!” I yelled taken aback by his response, “Ever heard of this term called privacy?”

“Yeah, there’s no need to have a pop quiz on vocabulary. I’ve been waiting outside for the past half an hour because of you so called privacy. But it seems to me now, that you’ve decided to make the bathroom your home. I must say you’ve got terrible taste in real estate.” He said, the annoyance evident in his tone.

I rolled my eyes, he was making it sound like I was constipated, which I most certainly am not. I don’t think I’ll be having bowel problems until I’m a senior citizen. For God’s sake I was just reading a book in here.

For some reason, I’ve always felt at peace when I’m in the bathroom. It’s the one place where I can think without anyone disturbing me. I sighed, as unlocked the door and walked out.

After Neel was done with his business, he marched out glaring at me. He slumped onto his bed and grabbed a videogame.

I smirked; guys can be so immature at times.

Looking at the play station, it struck me that I hadn’t talked to Neel about Tvisha’s call.

Oh my god! How could I forget to mention something as important as this? I mentally punched myself.

“Neel” I called out.

“Hmm…” he replied, engrossed in that stupid video game of his.

“I’m talking to you Neel.” I asserted, a little irritated by his ignorance.

“Hmm, I’m listening. All five of my sense organs have the ability to function simultaneously, you know.” He said, his unblinking eyes glued to the screen of the gadget in his hands.

I huffed at his response. Honestly, Neel got onto my nerves sometimes and if felt like kicking him all the way to the next solar system.

Wait, there’s only one solar system, right? Ok, so I want to kick him to the next galaxy. I can’t afford to be scientifically incorrect, kind of ruins my nerdy reputation.

“FIRE!!” I yelled, flailing my hands in the air.

“What? Where?” Neel jumped up in surprise, dropping the play station.

Yeah, not the best tactic to get his attention but it worked effectively so who am I to complain?

I was rolling on the carpeted floor with laughter, clutching my stomach when Neel said angrily, “What was that for?”

I tried to control my laughter but it just forced me to laugh more.

Sobering up, I said, “Well now that I finally have your attention, I want to tell you about something new I discovered about the portal magic in the morning.”

Yeah, I sound like a senator or something but it just seemed to fit so well in the situation and who doesn’t like a tiny bit of role play?

Neel was all eyes and ears to me now. I continued, “So, I called up Tvisha out of habit and I was about to cut the call, realizing where we were. But miraculously the call connected. So it means that communication with the 21st century isn’t impossible. And I also found that time passes differently in the present and in the past.”

“So you mean to say that the internet and apps that work on wifi don’t work here but you can call?” he asked.

I nodded. Neel rested his head on the bedstead and looked like he was absorbing the news. Then suddenly his face lit up and he said excitedly, “We can keep in touch with our friends and work with them to find a way to get back. Looks like they’re in for a very long night.”

Why didn’t I realize that earlier!! We could actually work with our friends in the future.

“Umm, Neel you’ll have to talk to Ashoka about this. I went to inform him in the morning when you’d gone to the arena but he just wouldn’t listen to me.” I said, my cheeks heating up because of embarrassment, “He said and I quote the fairer sex tends to exaggerate and therefore cannot be trusted in an important matter such as this.”

Neel smirked and said, “There there Tara! It’s common knowledge that everyone likes me better than you. You’ll just have to try harder and I’m willing to give you free lessons if you want.”

I rolled my eyes. Gosh, he was just so full of himself! A dose of humility would certainly be good for him.

     ____________________________________________________________