Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Holden

       Sometimes when my parents invited me over for dinner, I didn't want to go. However, this time, I was actually wanting to since I was on better terms with my dad and he was trying his hardest to accept me and Shaw.

       So at least I would have one parent on my side if the other chose to diminish our relationship. 

       Dad, actually, said Shaw could come over as well. That came as a huge shock, but I asked Shaw if he wanted to come anyway. He said he did, mainly because it would irritate my mom.

       I felt the same way.

       It really did irritate her. Not even five seconds after we stepped inside my parents' house, Mom already scoffed and rolled her eyes. "What's he doing here?"

       "I invited him," Dad asked. "He is dating our son so it would be good for us to actually include him in family dinners. Well, family dinners minus Josh. He couldn't make it because he's stuck at work."

       "If only that were the same for Shaw," Mom said.

       "Uh, I am here, you know," Shaw said.

       "Yes, unfortunately, you are," Mom said.

       "Can't you at least try to accept it?" I asked. "Dad is."

       Mom didn't reply. Of course. I didn't even know if she ever would accept it, so I didn't know why I bothered trying to get her too.

       Calvin, Kenny, and Grandma were also here. Grandma ended up extending her visit to Spruceworth, but we all knew she was really tempted to just move here instead. She was just too lazy to go back to her home, pack up all of her things, sell things she wouldn't need, and sell her home.

       "Now, Tara, you can be a bit nicer to the kind, young man who's providing so much love for your son," Grandma said. "It's clear that Shaw loves Holden very much."

       "I wouldn't bother, Grandma," I said. "She clearly isn't going to change her mind."

       "So, just to be clear," Calvin suddenly spoke up from his spot at the table. "There's going to be drama going on here, right? Because I haven't had my drama fix in such a long time. I'm dying here."

       "No, there isn't going to be any," Grandma said. "This is going to be a nice, family dinner with no arguing whatsoever."

       She was so wrong.

       It did seem that way for the first couple minutes of us eating and talking about random things. And then Noah made the mistake to bring up a topic that was only going to lead to Mom getting mad at Shaw.

       "So, I talked to Josh yesterday," Noah said. "He told me Guinevere has done a lot better accepting that she doesn't have a mom anymore. She did have a feeling she wouldn't see her mom again after Cassidy fled Spruceworth, but it's still hard accepting it."

       "She wouldn't have to if someone was a lot more careful," Mom said.

       "Right, I should have just asked her not to shoot me," Shaw said. "That would have worked a lot better."

       "You could have tried talking things out with her," Mom said.

       "I did try," Shaw said. "You really think she was just going to put the gun down? She killed one of her exes and she blew up the city hall. I don't think she has any remorse."