Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Holden

       No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get out of the shack. There wasn't even much I could try going in the first place. The only way out was through the door and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it open.

       It didn't help that my head was hurting a lot and at times, I would feel extremely dizzy and would have to sit down.

       I didn't know how long I was in here for, but I already knew that I missed my own wedding. And t definitely didn't help with that message Roman sent Shaw. I really hoped Shaw would know it wasn't true and that something was wrong.

       I felt like just giving up entirely right now. I doubt I was going to get out of the shack anytime soon. I was sitting on the floor right now, my head in a lot of pain. 

       Outside, I could hear someone walking against the gravel. Thinking it was Roman, I tried standing up so I could quickly leave, but I got extremely dizzy once again and had to sit back down and wait for my vision to focus again.

       It did right in time to see the door to the shack open and someone be pushed inside.

       Mercy.

       Ignoring the pounding in my head, I got up and hurried over to the door, but it closed and locked right as I got in there. "This isn't a game, Roman!" I said. "Let us out!"

       Of course, Roman didn't reply as I heard the footsteps against the gravel getting further and further away.

       I went over to Mercy, crouching down beside her. "Are you okay?" I asked. "Did he hurt you?"

       Mercy looked over at me, tears staining her eyes. When she noticed that it was me, she threw her arms around me. "Holden," she said. "Why did you leave my dad?"

       "I didn't," I said. "I swear, I didn't. That man that brought you here, Roman, brought me here and sent that text to your dad."

       "So you still want to marry my dad?" Mercy asked.

       "Yes, of course I do," I said. "More than anything. Roman just has something against your dad and is trying to ruin his life. We'll be okay, though."

       I didn't know if we were, but I couldn't act scared in front of Mercy.

       I honestly wished it was just me Roman kidnapped. I didn't want Mercy caught up in all of this, and I was so afraid that something even worse was going to happen to the two of us. 

       If me 'calling off the wedding' was going to break Shaw's heart, his daughter going missing was going to completely shatter it.

       And I didn't know if Shaw could handle it.

       "Is that man going to hurt us?" Mercy asked.

       "No, he's not," I said, though I wasn't too sure myself. "He just wants to scare your dad. I told you, we'll be okay."

       Even though I already tried, I looked around the shack again for anything that could help us leave. I knew I wasn't going to find anything, but at least it would give Mercy a tiny bit of hope.

       However, walking around so much was making me feel dizzy again so I had to sit down, holding my head.

       "Are you okay?" Mercy asked.

       "Yeah, I'm fine," I said. "I just gave a headache."

       Mercy sat down beside me. "I just want to see my mom and dad."