Chapter 63: Change of plans

It got ranked #4 in fanfiction ohmahgaaawd TYSM for voting and commenting and all that! :O

____________________

Zayn's POV

Waking me from my sleep Sunday morning - or rather noon, I realize after glancing at my clock - is the obnoxious sound of my phone vibrating under my pillow.

My head only pounds a little bit from drinking last night, and I feel incredibly thirsty but it's nothing major. Nothing a couple of aspirins and a cup of coffee can't cure.
I've started to drink so much coffee lately but I don't know why really, it's just sort of become a habit. It's fucking addicting that stuff.

I glance at the phone display to see that it's my mum that's calling, so I press the green icon to pick up and rub my eyes while she tells me in a very serious note, to get over there immediately, saying that she needs to "have a word with me about a certain phone call from the police".

Her number is apparently still the one that's in my file.
Fucking great.

**

My mum is sitting at the dining table when I get there, typing quietly on her MacBook.
That's her - always working.

I know she wont cuss me out or anything, she never does, but she doesn't need to either because whenever she's mad or disappointed in me it makes me feel bad anyway.

She notices me walking in and pulling out a chair across from her, as she closes the lid of her laptop and starts tapping her nails on it.
- "Zayn I got a call from the station today," she glances at me and sighs almost resignedly. "I got told you and your friends got pulled over for speeding, and they found a knife in your car?"
True.

- "Yes." I admit, crossing my arms in front of my chest as a sort of protection, letting her continue.

- "They're keeping the knife back to examine it further. They have reason to believe that it's the missing knife from the Brian case," she looks at me with her eyes that are very similar to mine, however her's always carry an almost concerned expression. "What knife is it Zayn?"

"The Brian Case"is not something we have talked about since they closed the case. Even though she's on my side and she knows it wasn't on purpose and that it was self-defence and stuff, I think that deep down just the thought about the fact that her eldest son is capable of pulling a knife on someone scares her.

Of course it does.

But overall I think the thing she's most worried about is the fact that I've inherited my father's bad temper.

- "It's just some knife I once got. It's just a stupid folding knife," I snort, which seems to upset her.

She glances at me, before opening the lid of her laptop again. False alarm.
- "Alright then, good. But can't you see why it's a bad idea of you to even own a weapon - with a record like yours? And besides you shouldn't be speeding in the first place, we have discussed that before," she snaps.

- "I know, I'm sorry I had forgotten I even had that knife. And I wasn't even the one driving the car. Jason was,"

- "I just want you to think about it, Zayn. If your mum wasn't a lawyer things might have turned out very differently. You're my son and I love you unconditionally, but I'd hate seeing you get in serious trouble one day," I nod, of course I appreciate everything she has done for me, and she's right, but in this case it's just a stupid fucking knife.
"And you can cancel with Zoe, I don't think tonight is a good time,"

**

Zoe's POV

Having just eaten lunch with my family, discussing our plans for Christmas even though there is still a month and a half until then, my phone rings, Zayn's name written across the display of my iPhone.