Memories of Ice

He went through the old stuff stored in the garage. The piles of boxes stacked in a corner contained so many memories. He went to open one, pulled out a medal and saw the Olympics symbol on it. He smiled. His heart raced as he remembered the tension and stress of this event.

Everyone waited patiently as their names were announced. A tangible tension and an oppressing silence invaded the room. They were the expected ones as the competition was getting fiercer.

Ashley and Richard had come a long way before getting into this level of ice skating competition. The couple trained hard to get to their local competition and made a name for themselves in their city. They were excited to know that they were going to the nationals, but they nearly did not believe it when they found out that they were going to the Olympics.

Today was this day. Paris welcomed them and throughout the competition they were known as the promising stars.

"They arrived from nowhere, and now climbing up the ladder, and beating even the most skilled athletes," Journalists and commentators would say.

Today were the finals and they were facing Olga and Dimitri, holders of the Olympics champion title for four consecutive years. They were not willing to give it up that easily. Ashley's heart beat hard against her chest as she stepped into the arena followed by Richard who felt her anxiety. He got closer to her holding her tighter.

"Breathe," he whispered into her ears, "it's going to be fine."

She smiled gently, as she knew that he was anxious as well. His hand trembling, he wrapped his arms around his wife as they took their starting positions. She looked deep into his eyes and took a deep breath. Richard recognized the look. "It will be fine," he said smiling. The music started and as the notes from the piano danced in the air with the tune of Debussy, they gracefully moved on the ice.

Ashley's white dress flowed in the air as she twirled and turned around her husband. Richard followed her closely as he guided her through her jumps and figures. Richard kept eye contact with her. His presence suddenly made her feel more secure and she forgot the crowd, the competition and everything else. She was now dancing for him.

The crowd watched breathlessly as the couple skated elegantly on the white ice. The judges watched carefully for mistakes, but stunned by the performance that Ashley and Richard were giving them. The jumps and landings perfectly timed with the music and the speed they skated on the silvery ice in sync with the notes of the music piece. This was not a performance, nor was it just ice skating. This was art flourishing on the ice in front.

Richard and Ashley forgot about everything and gave into their passion for dancing, ice skating and for each other. Their romance bled out of their every move. As the romantic piece of Debussy played in the background, the atmosphere changed from competitive to peaceful and romantic. The air breathed the work into this presentation and the love for the art as they danced on the serene notes of the musical piece like a leaf floating on the autumn breeze.

As the music went on and the performance continued flawlessly, Richard's eyes glowed as hesaw his wife twirl on the shining ice and a tear rolled down his cheek. He quickly dried it before she saw it. Too late. As she came back into his arms she whispered, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he replied kneeling down and let her spin away. 'Nothing,' he repeated to himself.

The music slowly faded to a stop as their performance reached the end. She came back amorously into his arms and Richard slowly lowered her down and gently went for a kiss as the last notes played.

The music stopped and the lights slowly came back up. The arena was silent as a tomb. Not even a cough nor a breath. Everyone was silent. The couple stood back up and bowed before the silent crowd.

The arena suddenly trembled with a roar of applause. The magic of the performance was brought some of the people to tears as Ashley noticed some of people wiping their eyes. They smiled and bowed again before joining their quarters to look at their score.

As their score appeared on the screen, Ashley fell into tears and hugged Richard who could not believe their eyes as they realized they won the silver medal.

"It's okay," Richard said in Ashley's eyes, "we gave it our best."

She did not reply as her tears kept flowing. She leaned into him and kissed him and whispered, "Thank you!"

He placed back the medal and dried the trail that the tear drew on his face rolling down. It has been three years since the Olympics and he was not ready to go back. At least not with her anymore.

Ashley was diagnosed with terminal cancer right before they started to compete for the qualifications for the Olympics. Richard gave his best to make it happen no matter the struggle. It was her dream to be in the Olympics, and that would be his last gift he would give her.

He went back in the house and glanced at their picture on the wall. His heart sank. He fell on a chair crying as his six-year-old daughter came to him and placed her tiny hand on his shoulder.

"What's wrong papa?" She asked.

Richard took her in his arms and whispered, "Papa is a little sad that's all, sweetheart."

"I miss Mama," she replied as she hugged her dad, "Nana told me that she is in a happier place and lives in our heart."

Richard smiled and said, "You're right darling. You right."