ONE

• Read prologue before this chapter •

The lights in my apartment all cut off, including my TV. I sit bewildered starting into the darkness before any common sense kicks in. Did I miss my bill again?

"For Christ sakes" I curse as I pull myself up off the sofa. I pull my phone out of my pocket and try to turn it on. No battery, great.
Light from outside illuminates the room slightly and I make my way to the door, my leg hitting corner of the table in the process.

Eventually I find the door and swing it open, revealing the dark abyss just outside my door. It's not just me.

Who would know why the powers out? Number 8? He's always been a massive douche when it comes to the logistics of the building. I extend my arms outwards and begin walking forward. I hear a jingle of some keys and I freeze.

"Is somebody there?" I question, continuing to make my way aimlessly through the dark hallway.
"Hello?" A voice replies. My skin jumps off my body and I freeze. Someone is actually out there.

"Why have the lights gone out?" I say hoping they'll know the answer. I stay frozen, not wanting to get too close to the mysterious voice.
"How am I supposed to know? I just got got home- ask number 18" It says in a slightly annoyed tone.

I raise an eyebrow and continue trying to navigate through the hall, walking in the same direction of the owner of the voice.

"Stop" it suddenly yells, "Please don't touch me- you're very close to touching me right now" the tone shifts to soft, almost vulnerable.

I blink a few times before furrowing my eyebrows, it can see me? How is that even possible? It's impossible to see anything in this light.
"I don't know where you are- how am I supposed to avoid you?" I scoff slightly and the voice sighs impatiently.

"Just give me a second, I'll go into my house" I hear some keys jingle and a door open.
"Have you got a torch- I know we just met but I don't want to break my leg trying to find that twat in number 8" I laugh slightly and wait for a response.

"Yeah- Just give me a second" The voice says before footsteps fill my ears. They return back and a light nearly blinds me.

"Oh shit- sorry" it curses before pointing it at the ceiling, illuminating the bottom of his face. He smiles at me and my eyes widen. He's really cute.

"Its okay" I smile, slightly taken aback by his visuals. He passes me the torch and bows slightly before turning back around and stepping into his apartment.

"Thank you" I blurt out and he shuts the door.

He was cute. How did I not know I had such a cute neighbour? I didn't even think I had a neighbour.

I point the torch towards the hallway and continue walking until I reach the door of number 8. My hand raises to knock on the door when the lights turn back on, I sigh and hang my head. It was just a power cut.

I crawl back towards my house, pausing outside the boys door. Should I give him his torch back now? I could wait until tomorrow and give it to him- he might be busy already.

I groan again and continue to my apartment, flipping my slippers off and placing the torch gently next to my key bowl.

I wonder who that boy actually is?

——

A/N

A slightly shorter chapter to get things started •-•