Chapter 3: Communication

Harry’s P.O.V.

            “So, the Autumn Formal is coming up pretty soon. Any idea who you’re going to ask?” asked Niall. “Well, there’s this one girl, but I think she might have a date already,” I told him. “Who?” he asked. “Um…well, uh, she’s from another school actually. You wouldn’t know her.” “Oh,” replied Niall. “Well maybe you should ask her anyway, just make sure, you know?” “We’ll see,” I said with a sigh. “So are you going to ask Sophie?” “I’m thinking about it,” he replied. “What would be holding you back?” I asked him. “I don’t know, I’ve been talking with this other girl, Demi, a bit too. I’m not sure which one I want to ask,” said Niall. I started to feel angry. Sophie wasn’t even his number one choice. For me, on the other hand, Sophie was the only good choice. Maybe it was time to finally tell Niall how I felt about Sophie. Just then, the school bell rang. “Catch you later,” said Niall, and he walked off to his next class.

 Sophie’s P.O.V.

            “Eleanor, you have to see my dress!” said Danielle, pulling out her phone. “Wow, that’s so pretty!” she replied. “You have to come over and see mine,” she told Danielle. “I’m just so excited,” said Danielle. “Do you have your dress yet, Sophie?” “I wasn’t exactly planning on going,” I replied. Danielle and Eleanor gaped at me. “But why not? The Autumn Formal is the highlight of the year!” said Eleanor. “Well, I might go if I have a date,” I told them. “I’m surprised Niall hasn’t asked you yet,” said Danielle. “Maybe you should ask him yourself,” said Eleanor. “I don’t know about that. If he wanted to go with me, I’m sure he’d ask,” I responded. I was a bit bummed that Niall hadn’t asked me, but at least it left open the possibility that Harry would. Then again, that seemed unlikely too. Ever since the bonfire, he’s been acting a little different.

 Harry’s P.O.V.

            “Guess who now has a hot formal date?” said Niall as he came up to me in the hallway. “I don’t know, who?” I said sarcastically. “This guy!” said Niall, unaffected my dry tone. “So who’s the lucky lady? Sophie or Demi?” I asked. Niall laughed. “Neither! I asked Cher,” he said. I felt a wave of relief hit me. This meant Sophie was still up for grabs. “I’m happy for you, man,” I told him, then pushed him aside and hurried off to find Sophie. I had to do this quick, before I lost my chance.

            I found Sophie by her locker. She was talking to a boy. I didn’t recognize him, but he had red hair. “Yeah, sure, I’ll see you then!” she told him. He walked down the hall and then she noticed me standing a few feet away. “Hey Harry! What’s up?” My heart was pounding. Did I really just lose my chance? “I…um…well I was going to ask you…” I said nervously. “Ask me what?” I was freezing up really badly. I didn’t want to make her feel awkward and ask her to the dance if she already had a date. So I tried to cover it up and said, “I was going to ask you if you had the homework assignment for history class. I forgot to write it down.” “Oh,” she said, looking down. “Uh, yeah, here, I’ll write it down for you.” She handed me a scrap of paper and then said, “I have to go to class now. See you around, Harry.”