Chapter 4: An Invitation

Sophie’s P.O.V.

            My hands were shaking a bit as I walked to class. I was sure Harry came up to me to ask me to the dance. But no, turns out he just wanted to know the assignment. Maybe I just need to tell him myself how I feel. I just don’t know what to do.

 Harry’s P.O.V.

            Stupid. I’m so stupid. That boy didn’t necessarily ask her to the dance. I should’ve just manned up and done it. I saw Liam walk by in the hallway and decided to recruit him for help. “Hey, Liam,” I said. “Hey Harry, what’s going on?” he replied. “Oh, nothing. Actually, I was wondering, could you maybe find out for me whether Sophie has a date to the dance yet? I figured you could ask Danielle.” “You never told me you were into Sophie,” said Liam with a smile. “But sure, I’ll ask her.” “And Liam?” I asked. “Yes, Harry?” “Would you mind doing it soon? Time is of the essence,” I said to him. “Yes, calm down, it’ll be okay,” he said, laughing. “Oh, there she is. I’ll ask her right now.” He walked up to Danielle, greeting her with a kiss, and then they chatted. I saw she shook her head no and I felt butterflies in my stomach. I mentally crossed my fingers as Liam came back to me.

            “Well, Harry, looks like you’ve still got a shot!” said Liam. “Really? But then who was…” I trailed off. “What?” asked Liam. “Oh, nothing. Gotta go,” I told him, then made my way to find Sophie. This time, I’d actually get to do it.

            I found her outside of her next class. When she saw me, she said, “Don’t tell me you forgot to get the English homework too,” with a sly sneer. I laughed hesitantly. Then I blurted out, “Sophie, will you go to the formal with me?” She looked taken aback, but then smiled. “Harry, I’d love to go to the formal with you.”

 Sophie’s P.O.V.

            I smiled like an idiot the whole drive home from school. As much as I’d been trying to deny it, I really liked Harry. I liked him a lot. I didn’t want to get too ahead of myself, but I bet he’d make a good boyfriend. I called up Eleanor and told her the news. “That’s great, Sophie, I’m excited that you’re coming now,” she said. “Does that mean I get to take you dress shopping?” “I think so!” I replied. “Are you busy? We could go right now!” said Eleanor. “I don’t have that much homework. Let’s go!” I said.

            I picked Eleanor up and we headed to a local dress shop. “Ugh, a lot of these are really tacky,” she said in disgust, putting a shiny pink feathered dress back on the rack. “Ooh, look at this one,” she said. She held up a silky midnight blue dress. It was short but flowy, with a single strap going across one shoulder. “It’s beautiful!” I said. “I’m going to go try it on.”

            The dress was really lovely on. It was a good idea to bring Eleanor; she had such good taste. “I knew it would look great on you!” she squealed. “That’s definitely the one!” I changed out of it then bought the dress. I was just as excited as Eleanor about the dance now. Maybe even more excited. It was going to be perfect.