Chapter 4

"Mom! I'm home!" Percy called, entering Sally Jackson-Blofis and Paul Blofis apartment. When he was greeted with silence he called again, louder this time. "Mom? Paul? Hello?" Slightly panicked, Percy started searching every room in the apartment. "Mom! Paul! Where are you?" When he made his way to Sally and Paul's bedroom he was in a state of shock, anger, and horrible, gut wrenching sadness. "No!" Percy screamed, running over to the limp forms of Sally and Paul. They each had a sword through their hearts. Percy held his mother's head in his lap, the same way he did with Annabeth, desperately checking for a pulse. When he found none on either of them, he shakily stood up, and found a note, laying near the door, written in blood. It read, "You killed my love, so I killed your parents the same way." Percy tore up the note in anger. Only one being could have done this. Tartarus. Tartarus is a primordial, like Gaea and Ouranos. He is the deep abyss that is used as a dungeon of torment and suffering for monsters, and as the prison for the Titans, the children of Ouranos (the sky), and Gaea. Tartarus married Gaea eons ago, after the titans killed Ouranos. During the quest following the prophecy of seven, Percy and Annabeth fell into Tartarus, and saw, and experienced things that would shatter one's body, and break their sanity. But Percy and Annabeth did the impossible, they escaped with their lives, sanity, and each other. Last week, Percy killed Gaea, evil mother Earth herself by driving his sword through her heart. While Percy was fighting Gaea, Annabeth was targeted by the giant Polybotes, the anti-Poseidon. Percy wasn't fast enough to save the love of his life, Annabeth. She died with a spear protruding through her abdomen.

"Do you have any living relatives?" A bored looking policeman asked Percy at the police station

"Do you have any living relatives?" A bored looking policeman asked Percy at the police station. "No sir." Percy whispered, with tears in his watery, sea green eyes. In a matter of minutes, he had become an orphan. "I couldn't save them. I failed them just like I did with Annabeth. Just like how I failed the rest of the seven. Why wasn't I strong enough? Why wasn't I fast enough? Why wasn't I-"

"-Listen kid, the faster you answer these questions, the faster we can get you to-" The policeman stopped seeming to be rethinking his next words. "- the faster we can get you to a suitable home." Startled out of his self-blaming sesion, Percy looked up, processing what the man had just said. Percy gathered a shaky breath and let it out slowly, trying to calm himself.

"A home?" Percy said, with despair in his eyes. "You mean like an orphanage?"

The policeman shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "Well, maybe. Something similar to an orphanage. But if you have any living relatives, you'll go live with them." As he was saying this, another, kinder-looking police officer came in, holding a pen and paper.

"Hey there. My name is Officer Dill." The new officer said.  "Percy, could you tell me exactly what happened from the moment you stepped foot in your house, please. I promise, these are the last of the questions for today." Officer Dill reasoned, trying to reassure the miserable boy. Percy took a deep breath, and began to speak.

"I came home from a long day at the beach. So I called, "Mom! I'm home!" When neither my Mom or Step-Dad answered, I went looking around the apartment for them. That's when I found them." Percy paused to wipe the visible tears gathering in his eyes, then quietly continued. "They were both unconscious, with a sword through their hearts." Unable to continue, Percy bowed his head in his hands, tears leaking out of his tightly-shut eyes.

Officer Dill, with a sad look in his eyes, asked his final question. "Last question, what were your mom and step dad's names?"

"Paul Blofis and Sally Jackson-Blofis." Percy barely audibly whispered, his voice cracking at his mother's name.

"Thank you, Percy." Officer Dill said as he walked away, giving Percy a sympathetic look.

"Let's go kid." The bored officer grumbled as he hauled Percy to his feet, and towards the door. "Go home. When we need you again, we'll send some officers to get you." Percy nodded his head in compliance, and walked out the door, heading for the apartment. Percy took his time walking back, pausing at a few stores or parks, remembering weekends he would spend with Sally and Paul, just walking the busy streets, going from vendor to vendor. He stopped at the candy store, Sweet on America. His mom would work late nights when he was younger, but she would always bring back blue candy just for her and Percy. He started remembering one particular night... "I haven't had a flashback for days..." Percy thought as he felt his consciousness slipping away.

Percy was nine years old, waiting for Sally to come to the apartment. He knew that Sally was working late night shifts for some extra money, but he really wished that she was home, watching Finding Nemo, his favorite movie, with him. When he heard the door open, he ran and threw himself at his mom, finding himself in a warm hug. "I missed you Mommy." Percy murmured, burying his face in his mother's blouse. Sally let out a quick, warm laugh.

"I missed you too sweetie." Sally smiled, then got a mischievous grin on her face. "You know what else is sweet? Blue candy!" Sally laughed as she dumped her bag of blue candy onto the kitchen counter. Percy let out an excited laugh, and dove into the candy, practically inhaling it. "Slow down mister!" Sally mock-scolded as Percy shoved three pieces of candy into his little mouth at the same time. Percy gave a grin and stuffed another candy into his mouth, successfully filling it.

"Kid! Hey, kid! Wake up!" A voice said. Percy slowly returned to consciousness, being shaken awake. He felt a hand, lightly slapping his cheek. He opened his eyes a fraction of an inch, the sunset's glow filling his eyes. As he let his eyes adjust to his surrounding, he vaguely realized he was laying on the concrete, and a figure was crouched over him. As his eyes were coming back into focus, he saw through his barely open eyes, a worried-looking man crouched over him, lightly tapping his cheek. Moving his eyes to the right of the figure, he saw a small crowd gathered around him. The man, seemingly having noticed that Percy was, in fact, awake, gently help Percy up into a sitting position, where Percy opened his eyes all the way. "Hey, kid, are you alright?" The man worriedly asked Percy.

Percy groggily replied, "Yeah, I uh, I'm just really tired. I didn't sleep very well last night." The crowd, seeing that the teenager was alright, dispersed.

The man, seemingly accepted Percy answer, hauled Percy to his feet, and patted him on the back. "My name's Phil Coulson." The man said, extending his right hand for Percy to shake.

"Percy Jackson" Percy replied, shaking Phil's hand. "Thanks for helping me, I've just been having some trouble sleeping lately." Percy lied.

"No problem Percy. Just make sure you don't get into to any trouble. I'd hate to have to track you down." Phil said with smile and winked at the last statement.

Percy chuckled then replied with his signature smirk and a wink of his own. "No promises. Trouble tends to find me."

"Are you sure it's not the other way around?" Phil laughed.

"Yes sir!" Percy grinned. "I've got to get going, but thank you Phil."

"Anytime kid." Phil sincerely replied. As Phil turned around and walked away, tears began to well up in Percy's eyes as he remembered good times with his mom.