Chapter 1. THE ROBOTIC FLY

THE HAMILTON CHILDREN, Stephen, Madison, Paul and Jade, aged twelve, eleven, nine and seven, respectively, were happily enjoying their last Sunday summer picnic before the beginning of the autumn school term. They were relaxing on some mowed grass in a clearing in the middle of some of the woods just inside the grounds of Black Park in the Slough area. They lived in nearby George Green in Blinco Lane, just an hour's walk away.

"Aaah," cried Jade looking up at the sky, while spouting a fountain of jam roll out of her mouth in surprise.    

"What is it?" asked Paul. "Have you spotted another wasp? I think we brought too many pieces of food with jam in them."

"No, it's all right," replied Jade, wiping some jam roll crumbs off her mouth with the back of her hand. "It's not another wasp. I just thought for a minute I saw the sun's skeleton."

This caused the other Hamiltons to raise their eyebrows in befuddlement.

"What are you talking about?" asked Madison.

"I was following the path of an aeroplane when suddenly I spied the full Moon. I just didn't expect to see the Moon in the middle of a bright summer's day. So I just thought it was for some silly reason the sun's skeleton."

"The Moon only comes out at night, silly," said Paul. "That jam roll has gone to your head."

"No," said Stephen quickly. "I'm afraid you're wrong, Paul. The Moon comes out on the day just as much as it does in the night." He pointed up to the sky. "See, Paul? There it is. Pretty close to the sun. And I suppose, describing it as the skeleton of the sun is understandable and quite clever of Jade really."

"Crikey," said Paul. "It really is in sky. I've never noticed that before. The teachers never told us that."

"Well, you can't argue with reality, can you?" said Madison.

"Of course not," replied Paul. "Sorry about that, Jade. The only silly person at this picnic is me."

"Strange to think that people walked on the Moon many years ago," said Stephen, still staring up at the sun skeleton.

"It can't have been up to much if they've never gone back in all these years," said Madison. "I mean, what is there to do on the Moon? The only life on the Moon was when those few American astronauts walked on it, and that was only for a few hours."

"Would you want to go there, just for a visit?" asked Stephen to Madison.

"A short visit. Yes. It would be good fun jumping up and down and feeling the lighter gravity. I might finally get to do a front somersault."

"Well, as it's obvious we're never going to get the chance to go to the Moon, how about getting out the coffee flask?" asked Paul of Stephen. "I'm stuffed full of jam sandwiches. A nice paper cup of coffee, might help me digest it all."

Without a word, Stephen plucked out a large coffee flask from his backpack and for concertinaed paper cups. He carefully unscrewed the flask's top and poured out four cups of coffee. Madison grabbed two, one for herself, and one for Jade. And Paul, who was nearest to Stephen just rolled himself to his cup, before walking on his knees back to his place.

"Aah" cried Jade, for the second time. Only this time she cried much louder and look much more surprised.

"Now what?" said Paul. "Have you spotted the skeleton of a wasp?"

Jade was staring downwards, and her eyebrows appeared to be competing with each other in a befuddlement competition.

"Come on," said Madison. "What is it this time?"