big bad baizen

A playful smirk dances across my lips as I lock eyes with Carter

'Why did you really come back? You can't be visiting family can you?' I say, looking his dishevelled self up and down.

Carter says nothing, only winks and sits down next to me at the bar.

'The real question is,' he says after a while. 'What is Esme Archibald doing at a bar on a Wednesday night in a pretty white dress?'

'It's a long story,' I say, as the bartender sets my glass down on the counter. 'I don't want to talk about it.'

I take a hefty swig from my glass and fix my eyes on Carter.

'Not talking is fine by me,' he says with a flirty smile. 'But seriously, why are you dressed so virginal?'

I laugh out loud.

'My mom picked it,' I explained. 'Family dinner.'

Carter raises an eyebrow.

'There's a lot I don't know about you Esme Archibald,' he says huskily.

'There's a lot I don't know about you too,' I reply, smirking.

'We should get to know each other,' he said with a grin.

'That we should.'

We stare at each other silently for a while until my phone rings, making me jump.

'You gonna get that?' Carter asks after a moment.

I nod, pulling out my phone. Celia's calling. I take another sip of my drink and answer the phone.

'Whatever they've done, I'm coming to rescue you,' Celia says as soon as I pick up. 'Where are you? I'll come pick you up.'

I look at Carter, pushing some olives around a plate absentmindedly while he sips his scotch. A part of me wants to stay and drink with him, but I know I need somewhere to stay and a shoulder to cry on.

'The Palace,' I say reluctantly. 'I have so much to tell you.'

'Be there in ten.'

Once I hang up the phone with Celia, Carter turns his head in my direction and smirks.

'You got somewhere to be?' He asks.